Determing the best distance to view a picture

• Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the question asks how far from a wall an observer should stand to get the best view of a 5m high painting hung 1m above eye level. Using implicit differentiation and trigonometric differentiation, the observer's angle of view can be calculated by subtracting the angle due to the 1m from the original angle. The minimum angle will give the optimal distance for the observer to stand from the wall.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

A large painting is 5m in height. The painting is hung on a wall so that its lower edge is 1m above the eye level of an observer. How far from the wall should the observer stand to get the best view? (Assume that the best view means that the angle subtended by the painting in the observer's eye is maximum.)

Homework Equations

Implicit differentation, trig differentiations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sort of lost on this question. I thought it would simply be a right triangle where the opposite side is 6 and the adjacent side is the one I am looking for, where θ is the angle subtended by the observer's eye (making the adjacent side 6cotθ). I now know this way is wrong, so if someone could point me along here it would be greatly appreciated, thank you. (for reference note the answer should be sqrt6.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your θ is for a painting 6m high, and with bottom edge level with the observer.

You'll need to subtract the angle due to the 1m that is not part of the painting.

So the 6cotθ i obtained from my diagram would have to be -6cotθ, or 6cotθ-θ?

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Emethyst said:
So the 6cotθ i obtained from my diagram would have to be -6cotθ, or 6cotθ-θ?

No, the θ=arccot(adjacent side / 6) you obtained needs to become

θ=arccot(adjacent side / 6) - arccot(adjacent side / 1)​

Now minimize θ.

1. How do you determine the best distance to view a picture?

The best distance to view a picture is determined by the size and resolution of the picture, as well as the visual acuity of the viewer. Generally, the distance should be about 1.5 to 2 times the diagonal length of the picture to ensure the optimal viewing experience.

2. Does the type of picture affect the recommended viewing distance?

Yes, the type of picture can affect the recommended viewing distance. For example, a high-resolution picture with fine details may require a closer viewing distance to fully appreciate the details, while a low-resolution picture may be best viewed from a farther distance to avoid pixelation.

3. Can viewing distance affect the perception of color in a picture?

Yes, the viewing distance can affect the perception of color in a picture. When viewing a picture from a closer distance, the colors may appear more vibrant and saturated, while viewing from a farther distance may make the colors appear more muted.

4. Is there a recommended viewing distance for all types of pictures?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all recommended viewing distance for all types of pictures. It is important to consider the factors mentioned in question 1 and adjust the viewing distance accordingly for each individual picture.

5. Can viewing a picture from the wrong distance cause eye strain or fatigue?

Yes, viewing a picture from the wrong distance can cause eye strain or fatigue. If the picture is too close, the viewer may have to constantly refocus their eyes, causing strain. If the picture is too far, the viewer may have to strain their eyes to see the details, causing fatigue.