Need a GREAT introduction book to calculus based physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the best textbook for an upcoming Physics I (Calculus Based) course. The individual seeks a textbook that explains basic concepts clearly and in an organized fashion, while also covering higher levels of complexity. Various textbooks, such as Serway, Knight, Halliday Resnick Krane, Alonso and Finn, and Matter & Interactions, are recommended. The conversation also mentions the Feynman lectures and the website Motion Mountain as additional resources for understanding physics concepts.
shootingstar5
All-

I am currently an undergrad about to embark on Physics I (Calculus Based). I took AP Physics in High School, but the teacher was awful and I never felt like I actually understood anything that I was "learning".

The professor that I will have this upcoming fall is undoubtedly intelligent, however, it is commonly known to the students that she is completely unable to convey basic concepts, thus making the class difficult to understand.

Thus, I wanted some opinions on what the BEST Physics Textbook/Help book is. I'm looking for something that explains the basic concepts clearly and in an organized fashion, yet still goes to a higher level of complexity (so that I can actually pass my exams).

Here is the only description of the course and the topics to be covered that I could find:

The basic principles of mechanics, fluid mechanics, thermal physics, wave motion, and sound. Primarily for students in the life sciences.
Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I never went to class in first year (or second... or most of third for that matter) and I just learned it all from the textbook and I did fine. I'm a fan of Serway's book but I've recently been TAing a course that uses Knight's and that's kinda grown on me as well. The reality of the matter is that so many people take first year physics that all of the main boks (Giancolli, Serway, Halliday and Resnick, Knight, etc) are going to be of a really high quality so you can really pick any of them and be fine.

Someone might hurt me for saying this, but I think that Paul Tipler's book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" is pretty good. The explanations and notation make sense, and there are a lot of good pictures (seriously, when you're seeing this stuff for the first time illustrations really help). I wouldn't recommend blindly throwing away $100+ for it, but you might try looking for it at the library.

Do people generally hate Tipler? I don't know I think I flipped through it once and didn't see anything wrong/different about it (of course looking through those kind of books when you're in grad school it's kinda hard to determine how helpful it will be to someone new to the field)

How much math do you know?

Halliday Resnick Krane is the best I have encountered.
University Physics isn't bad too.

Alonso and Finn Enough said! Seriously this book is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taught from various textbooks (Halliday+Resnick, Serway, Cutnell, Wilson+Buffa)...
and I've gotten a little bored of them.

However, here are some "new" textbooks that are worth looking into.
They have tried to incorporate aspects of Physics Education Research.

http://www.physics.pomona.edu/sixideas/ Six Ideas That Shaped Physics (Moore)
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rwchabay/mi/ Matter & Interactions (Chabay & Sherwood)
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471370991.html Understanding Physics (Cummings, Laws, Redish, Cooney)

The first two are different from your standard textbooks...
The last is a variation on Halliday and Resnick.

These approaches rely on more than just the textbook.
They each encourage active-participation (i.e. not merely solving typical "textbook problems") with the various concepts presented.

(Alonso and Finn is nice... but maybe a little advanced.)
("Integrated Physics and Calculus" is interesting... but probably too mathematical for the typical life-science student in a physics course.)

Another interesting book that might appeal to a life-science student is
http://www.mhhe.com/grr/ (Giambattista, Richardson, & Richardson).
If I had the opportunity to pick a text for a physics course for life-science students, I would pick this one to try out.

Last edited by a moderator:
how about the feynman lectures? It doesn't replace a textbook but explains the concepts well.

1. Can you recommend a good introduction book for calculus based physics?

Yes, I highly recommend "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. It covers all the essential topics in calculus based physics and is widely used in universities around the world.

2. Is there a specific edition of the book you recommend?

The latest edition, which is the 15th edition, is the most updated and comprehensive version of the book. However, if you have access to an older edition, it can still be a useful resource.

3. How does this book differ from other calculus based physics books?

One of the main differences is that "University Physics with Modern Physics" has a strong emphasis on real-world applications and examples. It also has a clear and concise writing style, making it easier for students to understand complex concepts.

4. Can this book be used for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It includes plenty of practice problems and exercises for students to test their understanding, making it a great resource for independent learning. However, having a teacher or tutor to guide you can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any online resources or supplements that accompany this book?

Yes, the authors have created a website, MasteringPhysics, which includes interactive tutorials, practice problems, and other resources to enhance the learning experience. It is highly recommended to supplement your studying with these online tools.