Which textbook is best for self-studying Physics for the SAT II exam?

In summary, Isaac Asimov's book "I, Robot" is a good read for review before taking the SAT II Physics exam.
Pi Face
I wasn't really sure where to put this topic, so feel free to move this if needed.

Anyways, I'm a rising Junior (HS) right now, and would like to take the Physics SAT II at the end of my Junior year. The thing is, I would have to self study because of a scheduling conflict. I took an Intro Physics my freshman year, but I forgot most of what I learned. I bought the Princeton Review Physics SAT II book and started working through it, but it isn't in depth enough and some parts left me confused. I also looked through the notes on the Sparknotes website, but I think I may need a little more review.

The book my school uses is Holt Physics by Serway and Faughn, published by Holt Rinehart Winston, 2002 edition. ISBN is 0-030-56544-8 if it matters. I figured that since I won't be taking the class in school, I don't have to buy the school's book and would have the entire selection of physics textbooks to choose from. I'm looking for a book that will thoroughly cover the topics found on a SAT II Physics test, or in any ol' Honors Physics class. I'll be taking Physics C my senior year as well. My math background is pretty strong, so the math portion won't be hard, it's really just the physics concepts, so I'd prefer the book to be beginner-friendly/introductory. Anyone have any suggestions on what book to get? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0880292512/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Isaac Asimov
This is definitely a non-standard book, and I don't know if it is too easy or hard, as I haven't read it myself. I have actually recently ordered it to check it out, and Amazon has it for cheap if you get it used. I think it is worth checking out. I would have loved to read a book like this before I started out, and it is most definitely going to be more interesting than reading some high school approved physics textbook. You (and I both!) should learn a lot from it. Just to be clear, it is definitely a physics book, not just a simple layman book (Asimov wrote I, Robot and many other science fiction books.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The suggestion of the Isaac Asimov book for review is a good one.

Perhaps your Physics teacher could give you some old homeworks and exams for practice. Save the practice SAT tests for last so you can get a good feel for how you're doing.

I don't know if the Physics SAT prep books have gotten any better. They were crap 20 years ago.

1. What is the best book for learning physics?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as different books may cater to different learning styles and levels of understanding. It is recommended to research and read reviews from multiple sources to find a book that suits you.

2. What is the difference between a textbook and a reference book for physics?

A textbook is typically used for structured learning and covers the core concepts and theories of physics. A reference book, on the other hand, is used for quick access to specific information and may contain more advanced topics. Both can be useful in different ways, depending on your needs.

3. Should I get a book specifically for my physics course or a general physics book?

If you are taking a physics course, it is recommended to get the book that is recommended or required by your instructor. These books are often tailored to the course curriculum and will be the most relevant for your studies. However, a general physics book can also be a useful supplement for further understanding or review.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to understand physics?

While a strong math foundation can certainly be beneficial in understanding physics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many physics books will have a review of necessary math concepts, and it is possible to learn and improve your math skills while studying physics.

5. Can I solely rely on a book for learning physics?

While a book can provide a wealth of information and understanding, it is important to supplement your learning with hands-on experiments, problem-solving practice, and discussions with others. Physics is a hands-on subject, and applying what you have learned is crucial in developing a deep understanding of the concepts.