Calculating the Derivative of U(t)y: DE for Dummies Ch. 2

• Thread starter Storm Butler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of derivatives in solving a differential equation from the book "Differential Equations for Dummies". The original equation being solved is dy/dt + 2y = 4, and the person is trying to find the integrating factor. They are having trouble understanding the use of the derivative in the equation d[U(t) y]/dt = U(t) dy/dt + dU(t) y/dt. The person suggests using the product rule to differentiate the function d U(t)y(t)/dt.
Storm Butler

Homework Statement

The derivative comes from a step in solving a differential equation from the book differential equations for dummies. (if anyone has the book it is in the second chapter page 27).

d[U(t) y]/dt=U(t) dy/dt+ dU(t) y/dt

Homework Equations

The original differential that was trying to be solved was dy/dt+2y=4 and he was trying to find the integrating factor, i don't know if that helps at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason i don't understand it is because if i were to take the derivative of U(t)*y which I am pretty sure is what it is asking i would think that it would simply be the derivative of U(t) times y (dt/dy= U'(t)*y)

Physics news on Phys.org

If y would be constant with respect to time your original differential equation would be somewhat trivial wouldn't it be? It would probably not even have a solution. The function you're differentiating is this:

[tex]
\frac{d U(t)y(t)}{d t}
[/tex]

Use the product rule.

1. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is defined as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How do you calculate the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of the derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in the independent variable approaches 0. This can be done algebraically or graphically.

3. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. How do you use the chain rule to calculate the derivative of a function?

To use the chain rule to calculate the derivative of a function, first identify the outer and inner functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, using the chain rule. Finally, substitute the inner function back into the result.

5. How can the derivative of a function be used to solve real-world problems?

The derivative of a function can be used to analyze the rate of change of a system or process and make predictions about its behavior. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and optimize real-world systems.