Plan to enter physics/math field in late 20's

• Math
  • Thread starter Cosmosgrav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Plan
In summary, the person is in their late 20's and wants to enter the field of physics/math. They have a strong interest and aptitude for math and physics, but did not go to college before due to not knowing what they wanted to do. They are now looking to acquire a bachelor's degree in math and physics and are considering attending a two-year college before transferring to a university in California. They are also wondering about job options with just a bachelor's degree and if a master's or doctorate would be necessary for certain positions. The expert suggests considering Cal State and UC schools for their math and physics programs and mentions that Cal Tech may be difficult to get into due to its selectivity. They also mention that a bachelor's
Cosmosgrav
Hello,

I'm in my late 20's and want to enter the field of physics/math. Just trying to get a general plan of how to go about accomplishing that.

First, I'm good at math. Not only am I good at it, I love it. Physics too. I'm a qualified member of Mensa (I stopped paying the dues, seemed pointless) and am very familiar with at least undergraduate math (algebra, calculus, etc.).

Money & time aren't an issue. I'm married and my wife makes very good money. She loves her job and is content to let me do whatever.

I never went to college before. I accepted a decent job right out of high school and paid my wife's way through college and supported us. I suppose I could have gone part time or something, but I didn't really know what I wanted to do as a career back then. I never really found my love of math & physics until a couple years ago. I had a good job, and didn't have a clue what I would study, so I figured why bother? In hindsight, I wish I could do it over, but what's done is done.

Even though I'm good at math and have studied physics independently, I'm not under the delusion that I won't need an education. Therefore, my first goal is to acquire a bachelors of math and physics.

I live in California, and the major university in my area I was considering (California State) isn't even accepting applications due to the California budget problems. So, I figure I'll go to a two year college and then transfer.

What colleges have the best physics/math reputations in California? I'm assuming Caltech? I live a fair distance away from Caltech, and even though I did very well in high school I doubt they'd accept somebody like me, someone ten years out of high school who hasn't gone to college before, so I figured State was the way to go. Would Caltech be an option after the two year degree, assuming I achieve a 4.0 GPA or close to it? Any other universities I should be considering?

Are there any pure physics/math jobs I could get with a four year degree? If so, what kind? As I said, money and time aren't really an issue, so I could continue and get a masters or doctorate if need be. Would a masters or PHD be required for the true math/physics positions?

Is there anything I'm overlooking? Any advice?

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cosmosgrav. Any of the Cal State schools would be a good option, and most of the UC schools are very well respected in their math and physics programs. Cal Tech is a very small school and extremely selective, so it would be difficult to get in. I'm just guessing that they would have some problems accepting someone a little older than their usual student, and you probably wouldn't even like it there considering the type of student that goes there.

Getting a pure math job is not really an option with just a bachelor's, so unless you want to teach high school you will need to go on to graduate school. The bachelor's in physics is probably a little more flexible.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you have a strong interest and aptitude for math and physics. These fields are constantly evolving and offer a wide range of career opportunities.

Firstly, it's important to note that it's never too late to pursue a career in science. Many successful scientists have entered the field later in life and have made significant contributions. So, don't let your age discourage you from pursuing your passion.

Since you have not attended college before, it may be beneficial for you to start at a community college and then transfer to a four-year university. This will give you the opportunity to take introductory courses in math and physics and see if it's the right path for you before committing to a four-year degree. Additionally, community colleges often have lower tuition costs, which may be helpful if money is a concern.

In terms of universities with strong reputations in physics and math in California, Caltech is definitely a top choice. However, there are other universities that also have excellent programs, such as UCLA, UC Berkeley, and UC San Diego. It's important to research each university's specific programs and faculty to see which one aligns best with your interests.

As for job opportunities with a four-year degree in math and physics, there are many options available. Some potential careers include working in research and development, data analysis, or teaching at the high school or community college level. However, if you are interested in pursuing a more specialized career in pure math or physics, a master's or PhD may be necessary. It's important to research potential career paths and speak with professionals in the field to determine the best path for you.

Overall, it's important to have a clear plan and set realistic goals for yourself. Consider reaching out to advisors at community colleges or universities to discuss your options and create a personalized plan. It's also helpful to network with professionals in the field and attend conferences or workshops to learn more about current research and job opportunities.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of a career in physics and math. With dedication and hard work, I'm sure you will achieve your goals.

1. How can I enter the physics/math field in my late 20's?

Entering the physics/math field in your late 20's is definitely possible! The first step is to get a solid foundation in math and physics by taking relevant courses or pursuing a degree in these subjects. It's also important to network with professionals in the field and gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities.

2. Will my age be a disadvantage in entering the physics/math field?

No, your age should not be a disadvantage. In fact, your life experiences and maturity can be an advantage in understanding complex concepts and problem-solving. Many successful physicists and mathematicians entered the field in their late 20's or even later.

3. Can I switch from a different career to physics/math in my late 20's?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a different career to physics/math in your late 20's. It may require additional coursework or self-study to catch up on foundational knowledge, but it is not uncommon for individuals to change careers and pursue their passion in science.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in the physics/math field?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and physics, you will need critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong work ethic. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important for success in this field.

5. What job opportunities are available in the physics/math field for someone in their late 20's?

There are many job opportunities available in the physics/math field for someone in their late 20's. Some common career paths include research positions in academia or in government laboratories, teaching positions in universities or high schools, and data analysis or consulting roles in industries such as finance or technology.