Difficult analysis problem involve supremum and function concepts

In summary, the problem statement is to show that for a function f, given a point c between f(a) and f(b), and a set A such that for all x in A, b > x > y > a implies f(a) > f(y), and the supremum of A is defined as u, we must prove that f(u) = c. However, without any further information about f, this statement is not necessarily true. An example is given where f(u) does not equal c.
anelys

Homework Statement

f(a) > c > f(b)

A = { x : b > x > y > a implies f(a) > f(y) }

let u = sup(A)

show that f(u) = c

Homework Equations

I have no idea in particular, save for the definition of the supremum:
[tex]\forall x \in A x \le u[/tex]
if [tex]v[/tex] is an upper bound of A, then [tex]u \le v[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuition led me to attempt a proof by contradiction. If you let f(x*) = c, assume that x* < u to arrive at a contradiction. Then assume that x* > u to arrive at a contradiction. Then to conclude that x* must be u. I don't know how to do this, or even if I can/should be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
anelys said:

Homework Statement

f(a) > c > f(b)

A = { x : b > x > y > a implies f(a) > f(y) }

let u = sup(A)

show that f(u) = c

There must be some information missing. What is [itex]c[/itex], just some random point between [itex]f(b)[/itex] and [itex]f(a)[/itex]? What is known about [itex]f[/itex]? Is it monotonically decreasing? Is it continuous?

jbunniii said:
There must be some information missing. What is [itex]c[/itex], just some random point between [itex]f(b)[/itex] and [itex]f(a)[/itex]? What is known about [itex]f[/itex]? Is it monotonically decreasing? Is it continuous?
There is nothing missing from the problem. I guess we can assume that it's continuous. It isn't necessarily a decreasing monotone function. Also, yes, c is any point between f(b) and f(a).

anelys said:
There is nothing missing from the problem. I guess we can assume that it's continuous. It isn't necessarily a decreasing monotone function. Also, yes, c is any point between f(b) and f(a).

Well, if that's the case then it's not true.

Let f(x) = -x for all x.

Let a = 0, b = 1, c = -0.5.

Then A = (0, 1), u = sup(A) = 1, but f(u) does not equal c.

What is the definition of supremum in analysis?

The supremum of a set is the least upper bound, meaning it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. In other words, it is the "supreme" or highest value in the set.

How is the supremum of a set calculated?

The supremum of a set can be calculated by finding the maximum value in the set, if it exists. If the maximum value does not exist, then the supremum can be found by taking the limit of the set as it approaches the maximum value.

What is the role of the supremum in analysis problems?

The supremum is an important concept in analysis as it allows us to define the boundaries of a set and determine its maximum value. It is particularly useful in solving optimization problems and proving the existence of solutions to difficult analysis problems.

What is the difference between the supremum and maximum of a set?

The supremum of a set is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set, while the maximum is simply the largest number in the set. The supremum may or may not be an element of the set, while the maximum must be an element of the set.

How are functions involved in difficult analysis problems?

Functions play a crucial role in difficult analysis problems as they allow us to model and analyze various mathematical concepts and phenomena. They help us understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its properties and behavior.