Block slides along an elevated track

In summary, a block sliding along an elevated track with a flat part of length 0.2m and a curved portion that is frictionless is released from rest at a height of 0.1m. The object comes to rest due to the presence of friction. To determine the final position, one can use pseudowork to account for the friction force. This can be done by solving for the change in kinetic energy using the formula for pseudowork and the known values for mass, gravity, and height. The frictional force can then be substituted in and solved for the final position.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

A block slides along an elevated track. The flat part has a length L = 0.2m and the object is released from rest from height h = 0.1m. The curved portion of the track is frictionless, but the flat part is rough with a friction coefficient μk = 0.15. Where does the object finally come
to rest? *Hint: use pseudowork to account for friction.
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9565/dsfm.jpg

Homework Equations

U = mgh =m9.8*0.1

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the object starts with U = mgh =m9.8*0.1=m0.98 but i have no idea what to do next.. and what's pseudowork?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to google it myself, but apparently pseudowork is given by

[tex]
\Delta K_{trans}=\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2=\int \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}
[/tex]

where the cm=center of mass. True work is given by

[tex]
W=\int\mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}
[/tex]

My guess is you'll be using the frictional force for [itex]\mathbf{F}=\mu_k\mathbf{F}_{normal}[/itex] and solving for [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] since you will know everything else.

1. What is a block slide along an elevated track?

A block slide along an elevated track refers to a simple physics experiment where a block or object is placed on a track that is elevated off the ground and allowed to slide down due to the force of gravity.

2. How does the height of the track affect the block slide?

The height of the track affects the block slide by increasing the gravitational potential energy of the block as it is raised to a higher height. This results in a higher kinetic energy and faster speed as the block slides down the track.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the block slide?

The speed of the block slide can be affected by various factors such as the height of the track, the mass of the block, the surface of the track, and the angle of inclination of the track. Friction can also play a role in slowing down the block's speed.

4. How does the angle of inclination of the track affect the block slide?

The angle of inclination of the track affects the block slide by changing the direction and magnitude of the force of gravity acting on the block. A steeper angle will result in a faster slide as the force of gravity acts more directly on the block.

5. What is the role of friction in a block slide along an elevated track?

Friction plays a role in a block slide along an elevated track by acting against the motion of the block and slowing it down. This is why a smoother surface or track with less friction will result in a faster slide. Friction can also cause the block to stop completely if the force is strong enough.