Electrolysis of Seawater under pressure

In summary, the speaker is looking for information on the relationship between pressure, temperature, voltage, and conductivity in the electrolysis of seawater. They are also interested in measuring efficiency by determining the number of Coulombs per mol of H2. The person named Bob S also suggests that this measurement may be pressure and temperature dependent.
jayron11
I have perused a number of related posts, but have not found the answer I'm looking for.

My problem is this:

I need to electrolyze seawater and capture the gas at a given pressure (I'm mixing the O2 and H2).

It seems to me that there should be a relationship of the form:

dVolume (or dMoles) ~ Pressure, temperature, voltage, conductivity

Some have indicated that pressure has no effect on the electrolysis of water, but this makes no sense to me - at a minimum, the gas will return to solution in the water under pressure and not be useful.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds interesting. You should also measure the number of Coulombs (as well as Joule energy) per Mol of H2 to determine efficiency. It should be (I think) about 192,900 Coulombs per Mol H2 (~2 grams, 22.41 liters at STP), not including inefficiencies. This may be pressure and temperature dependent.
Bob S

I can provide some insight into the electrolysis of seawater under pressure. First, let's discuss the basic principle of electrolysis. Electrolysis is a process in which an electric current is passed through a solution, causing a chemical reaction to occur. In the case of seawater, the two main components, sodium chloride (NaCl) and water (H2O), are broken down into their respective ions, Na+ and Cl-, and hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O2) gas.

Now, let's address the issue of pressure. It is true that pressure does not have a direct effect on the electrolysis reaction itself. The voltage and conductivity of the solution are the main factors that determine the rate of the reaction. However, pressure can affect the solubility of gases in the seawater, as you mentioned. This means that under high pressure, the gases produced during electrolysis may remain dissolved in the water instead of being collected as intended.

To overcome this issue, you can adjust the temperature and pressure of the system to maintain a balance between the production of gas and its solubility. This can be achieved by using a gas collection vessel with a controlled pressure release valve, or by adjusting the temperature and pressure of the solution during the electrolysis process.

In addition, it is important to consider the composition of the seawater itself. The concentration of salt and other dissolved minerals can affect the conductivity of the solution and therefore, the rate of the electrolysis reaction. It may be necessary to adjust the voltage and conductivity to achieve the desired rate of gas production.

In summary, while pressure may not have a direct effect on the electrolysis reaction, it can impact the solubility of gases in the seawater. To overcome this, careful control of temperature, pressure, and solution composition is necessary. I hope this information helps in your research.

1. What is the process of electrolysis of seawater under pressure?

The process of electrolysis of seawater under pressure involves passing an electric current through seawater in a specialized chamber under high levels of pressure. This causes the seawater to break down into its component elements, hydrogen and oxygen.

2. What is the purpose of conducting electrolysis of seawater under pressure?

The purpose of conducting electrolysis of seawater under pressure is to efficiently produce hydrogen gas, which can be used as a clean and renewable energy source. The process also produces oxygen gas, which can be used for various industrial and medical purposes.

3. What are the potential benefits of using seawater as a source for electrolysis?

Using seawater as a source for electrolysis has several potential benefits. Firstly, seawater is a more abundant and easily accessible source compared to freshwater. Additionally, the process of electrolysis can help remove impurities from seawater, making it safer for marine life and human consumption.

4. What are the challenges of conducting electrolysis of seawater under pressure?

One of the main challenges of conducting electrolysis of seawater under pressure is the high cost and complexity of the equipment needed. The process also requires a significant amount of electricity, which can be a limiting factor in areas with limited access to reliable power sources.

5. How can the efficiency of electrolysis of seawater under pressure be improved?

Efficiency of electrolysis of seawater under pressure can be improved by using advanced technologies such as membrane-based systems and renewable energy sources like solar and wind power. Research is also being conducted to develop new catalysts that can enhance the efficiency of the process.