Find Ratio of d/b for Minimum Stress in Beams & Bending

In summary, the problem asks us to find the ratio of the diameter of the log to the width of the rectangle, denoted as d/b, such that the maximum stress in the beam is minimal. Using the equations for maximum stress and moment of inertia, we can express the maximum stress as a function of d/b and other variables. By differentiating and setting it equal to 0, we can solve for the value of d/b that minimizes the maximum stress. This value is sqrt(2).
Dell
find the ratio of d/b such that the largest stress in the beam will be minimum
Capture.JPG

i know that the maximum stress is

σmax=Ymax[tex]\frac{M}{I}[/tex]

and i know that for a rectangle I=bh3/12

now in the question i am asked to find the ration of the (diameter of the log)/(the width of the rectangle) such that σmax is minimal

since the rectangle is contained in the circle

d2=b2+h2
where h is the height of the rectangle

σmax=Ymax[tex]\frac{M}{I}[/tex]

σmax=(h/2)*(12M/(bh2)
σmax=6M/(b*h2)
σmax=6M/(b*(d2-b2)

basically from here i need to find the ratio d/b so that (b*(d2-b2) is maximum,

but how can i do this??

d/b=K

(b*(d2-b2)
=(bd2-b3)

=d/b*(d*b2-b4/d)

but i can't get to the ratio, i feel i am so close but just not getting it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not shear stress. Your comment does not make sense. [EDIT: OK, you edited your post in response to my comment, without letting anyone know, thereby making my above comment appear as nonsense.]

You seem to not understand what d is, as if you have not looked at the diagram.

Last edited:
at first i thought that d was the height of the rectangle, but thatdidnt make sense to me, if that is so what is the circular log given for?? it is not 100% clear to me in the diagram what they mean by d.

as far as i know that is the equation for stress,

how would you have gone about solving it??

Use a straightedge to see what d is.

so you say that d is the height of the beam, if so why do they need to tell me that the beam is taken from a log,

if i take the height as d

I=bd3/12

σmax=(h/2)*(12M/(bd3)
σmax=6M/(b*d2)

now i need b*d2 to be maximum

but i still can't get to the ratio??

i supose that b*d2 will be maximum when d/b-->infinity
but that doesn't seem right at all

never mind, i think i got it

b2+d2=D2

i differentiate the stress equation adn compare to 0 and i get sqrt(2)

They don't tell you the size of the log, but the ratio r= d/b is constrained by the circular boundary. In my experience, if a problem says to find a ratio, then the first line should be: Let r be the ratio. Then work everything towards equations in r.

thanks but i got it already sqrt(2)

1. What is the purpose of finding the ratio of d/b for minimum stress in beams and bending?

The purpose of finding the ratio of d/b for minimum stress in beams and bending is to determine the most efficient and structurally sound design for a beam. By finding the optimal ratio, engineers and architects can ensure that the beam will be able to withstand the expected load and minimize the risk of failure or collapse.

2. How is the ratio of d/b calculated?

The ratio of d/b is calculated by dividing the depth (d) of the beam by its width (b). This ratio can also be expressed as h/b, where h is the height of the beam.

3. What is the significance of the ratio of d/b in beam design?

The ratio of d/b is significant in beam design because it determines the distribution of stress within the beam. A higher ratio means that the stress is concentrated towards the top and bottom of the beam, while a lower ratio means that the stress is more evenly distributed throughout the beam. This can affect the strength and stability of the beam.

4. How does the ratio of d/b impact the minimum stress in beams and bending?

The ratio of d/b directly impacts the minimum stress in beams and bending. A higher ratio means that the beam will experience higher stress, while a lower ratio means that the stress will be more evenly distributed and potentially lower. By finding the optimal ratio, engineers can minimize the overall stress on the beam and increase its strength.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ratio of d/b for minimum stress in beams and bending?

While the ratio of d/b is an important factor in beam design, it should not be the only consideration. Other factors such as the type of material, span length, and expected load should also be taken into account. Additionally, the ratio of d/b may vary depending on the specific application and should be adjusted accordingly.