Chem Poster Assignment Help: Rates, Condition and Chem Rxns.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to investigate and analyze conditions for maximizing the efficiency of common natural or industrial reactions in order to contribute to the sustainability of the environment. The speaker also mentions the creation of a poster showing the components, catalysts, and explanations for the role they play in the reaction's efficiency and environmental sustainability. They ask for guidance on which industrial or natural reactions can be used as examples. Examples such as petroleum conversion and ethene polymerization are suggested.
blogz101
Hi there, I'm new to the forums so pardon me if i make mistakes such as posting to the proper forum.

Homework Statement

I need to investigate and analyze conditions needed to maximize the efficiency of common natural or industrial reactions and explain how the improved efficiency of the reaction contributes to the sustainability of the environment. I need to make a poster showing the ff components: conditions/ catalyst which maximize the efficiency of the reaction, explanation on how the catalyst/ condition contribute to the efficiency of the reaction and analysis of the function/s condition/catalyst in their contributory role in the sustainability of the environment.

I'm not asking someone to do the poster for me (thats insane ;D). I'm just wondering if someone could help me and guide me on what industrial or natural chem rxns can be used and easily defended in other factors like explaining its role in efficiency etc.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

looked at petroleum and its conversion to fuels( alkanes etc), looked at polymerization of ethene.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not look at phenol production comparing the http://www.icis.com/V2/chemicals/9075199/cumene/uses.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! It's great to see you taking an interest in investigating and analyzing the conditions needed to maximize the efficiency of common natural or industrial reactions. it is important to understand how these reactions work and how we can improve their efficiency for the betterment of our environment.

To start, let's define what we mean by efficiency in a chemical reaction. Efficiency can be measured by the amount of product formed per unit of reactant. The higher the efficiency, the less waste is produced, making it more sustainable for the environment.

One example of a natural reaction that can be studied is photosynthesis. This process involves the conversion of sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide into oxygen and glucose. The efficiency of photosynthesis can be improved by optimizing the conditions such as temperature, water availability, and the amount of light. By understanding and controlling these conditions, we can maximize the efficiency of photosynthesis, which in turn contributes to the sustainability of our environment by producing more oxygen and reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

For an industrial reaction, let's take a look at the production of ammonia through the Haber-Bosch process. This reaction involves the conversion of nitrogen and hydrogen gas into ammonia, which is used as a fertilizer. The efficiency of this reaction can be improved by using a catalyst, such as iron, to lower the energy required for the reaction to occur. This not only increases the efficiency of the reaction but also reduces the amount of energy needed, making it more sustainable for the environment.

In addition to using catalysts, other conditions such as temperature, pressure, and reactant ratios can also be optimized to improve the efficiency of industrial reactions. These optimizations not only contribute to the sustainability of the environment by reducing waste and energy usage but also have economic benefits for industries.

Overall, understanding the conditions and catalysts that contribute to the efficiency of natural and industrial reactions is crucial in promoting sustainability. By continuously improving and optimizing these reactions, we can reduce our impact on the environment and work towards a more sustainable future. I hope this helps guide you in your poster assignment. Good luck!

What are the different factors that affect reaction rates?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be influenced by several factors including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, presence of a catalyst, and pressure (for gaseous reactions). These factors affect the frequency of collisions between reactant molecules, their orientation, and their energy, ultimately determining the rate of the reaction.

How can we determine the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of either the reactants or products over time. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer, titration, or other analytical methods. The rate can also be calculated by measuring the initial rate of the reaction and using the rate law equation.

What is the difference between a reversible and irreversible reaction?

A reversible reaction is a chemical reaction that can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions. This means that the products can react to form the original reactants. In contrast, an irreversible reaction only proceeds in one direction, meaning the products cannot revert back to the reactants.

What is a chemical equilibrium and how is it reached?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the rate of the forward and reverse reactions are equal, resulting in no further change in the concentrations of the reactants and products. This can be reached by adjusting the temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products, as well as by using a catalyst.

What is the role of a catalyst in a chemical reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. It does not participate in the reaction itself and is not consumed in the process. Catalysts can increase the rate of a reaction without being changed, making them important in industrial processes and biological systems.