Is Normal Reaction Higher on Concave Bridges Than Convex Bridges?

In summary, a concave bridge has a surface that curves inward and is typically used for smaller bridges, while a convex bridge has a surface that curves outward and is often used for larger bridges. The main difference between the two is the direction of the curve, which affects weight distribution and structural stability. Some advantages of using a concave bridge include its resistance to heavy loads, use of less material, and shorter construction time. Advantages of using a convex bridge include even weight distribution, suitability for heavy traffic, and a visually appealing design.
Asok
I want to know when a vehicle travels at a constant velocity along a convex and concave bridges, in what bridge the normal reaction of the vehicle is higher... I think it is on cancave bridge... am I right? because I got it by equations...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Asok! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you think (including the equations), and we'll comment. :smile:

What is a concave bridge?

A concave bridge is a type of bridge that has a surface that curves inward, resembling a bowl. This design is typically used for smaller bridges and can provide structural stability and resistance to heavy loads.

What is a convex bridge?

A convex bridge is a type of bridge that has a surface that curves outward, resembling a dome. This design is often used for larger bridges and can distribute weight evenly, making it suitable for heavy traffic.

What is the difference between a concave and convex bridge?

The main difference between a concave and convex bridge is the direction of the curve. A concave bridge curves inward while a convex bridge curves outward. This also affects the way weight and forces are distributed, making each design suitable for different types of bridges.

What are the advantages of using a concave bridge?

A concave bridge can provide structural stability and resistance to heavy loads due to its curved design. It also requires less material and can be built in a shorter amount of time compared to other bridge designs.

What are the advantages of using a convex bridge?

A convex bridge can distribute weight evenly, making it suitable for heavy traffic and larger bridges. It also has a visually appealing design and can provide a smoother ride for vehicles crossing over it.