Calculating Force at an angle with kinetic friction coefficient

In summary, the force applied to a 12.1 kg crate at an angle of 41.0 degrees makes the crate move horizontally with a constant acceleration of 1.85 m/s^2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the surface is uk=0.35.
skibum143

Homework Statement

A force, F, applied to a 12.1 kg crate at an angle (theta) of 41.0 degrees makes the crate move horizontally with a constant acceleration of 1.85 m/s^2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the surface is uk=0.35. Calculate the magnitude of F.

Homework Equations

F = ma
Fx = F + friction + N + W = ma
Fy = F + friction + N + W = 0
uk*N = friction
so, F = mg(cos theta) - friction = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the force of kinetic friction, by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.35) by the normal force (12.1 * 9.8), which equaled 41.5 N.
Then, I found m*a = (12.1 * 1.85) = 22.385.
I then set up the equation: F cos(theta) - friction = ma, or F(.7547) - 41.5 = 22.385
This gave me F = 84.65 N, which is wrong.
Can someone help me see where I'm going wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
im not sure if i understand the question u have .. is the crate in a horizontal surface and the crate itself lifted to be at an angle 41 .. or the crate is moving in a plane which is at angle of 41 ?? and mention the direction as well is it upward or downward??

Sorry, the crate is moving horizontally to the right, being pulled by a force F at an angle 41 degrees above the horizontal axis. (most likely a rope or something!)

The crate is not moving up an angle. it is moving across a flat surface, but being pulled by a rope at a 41 degree angle. Is there any way to paste diagrams in here? I could try to scan it...

I think that the setup of your problem is something like the following:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8946/ed96dcopycopy.jpg

so, in that case u have calculated the friction force incorrectly ..

it is true that the friction = (uk) * normal force .. in your case in order to find the normal force you should use Newton`s 2nd law which is :

Fy(net force) = 0 , in your problem this is , normal force + Fy - weight = 0 .. normal force is not always mg as you suggested .. go on from this point and you should get the right answer ..

Last edited by a moderator:
But if Fy = 0, and normal force + Fy (0) - weight (mg) = 0,
then normal force = weight, so normal force = mg.

Am I missing something??

Oh, but you are saying that:
normal + Fy (Fsin(41)) - weight (mg) = 0
So normal + Fsin(41) = weight
Can I use mg for the F of Fsin(41)?
That would give me a normal force of 40.785
and when I plug it into Fcos(41) - friction (40.785*0.35) = ma
I get F to be 48.568
Is this correct? Because I used mg for the F in the Fsin(41) but then I solved for the F in the Fcos(41)...I'm not sure that is right?

noooooo you can't substitute mg for F .. Your questions is asking for the value of F ..

I suggest you solve the following equations :

Fx = Fcos41 - friction = ma
Fy = Fsin41+normal force-mg = 0
When you substitute you have friction = (ku) * normal ..

I think this is clear enough .. Try again and tell me what you did

sorry, I'm horrible at physics. here is what I think you are trying to explain:

if I solve for normal force using Fy, I get:
normal force = mg - Fsin41
if I plug that into the Fx equation, I get:
Fx = Fcos41 - (ku)*(mg - Fsin41) = ma
If I solve for F, I get F = 122 N

Am I going the right way now?
Thanks for your help.

what you are doing is right .. But i have solved your problem and the answer is not 122 ? .. I solved it twice so i don't give you a wrong answer .. You probably made simple mistake in your calculations .. Try again you should get some value between 60 and 68 ..

I am so confused.
When I do the equation, I get:
Fcos41 - (ku)*(mg - Fsin41) = ma
.7547F - .35(118.58 - .6561F) = 22.385
.7547F - .2296F = 22.385 + 41.503
F = 121.67

Am I doing some trig function wrong here?

ooooh u had made a simple mistake .. U have a sign mistake .. Ur equation should be :
0.7547F + 0.2296F = 22.385 + 41.503

1. What is the formula for calculating force at an angle with kinetic friction coefficient?

The formula for calculating force at an angle with kinetic friction coefficient is F = μk * N * cos(θ), where μk is the kinetic friction coefficient, N is the normal force, and θ is the angle between the force and the horizontal surface.

2. How do you determine the normal force in this calculation?

The normal force is equal to the force of gravity (mg) acting perpendicular to the surface. This can also be calculated as N = mg * cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the surface and the horizontal.

3. What is the significance of the kinetic friction coefficient in this calculation?

The kinetic friction coefficient represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in motion. It is a dimensionless value that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient means there is more resistance to motion, while a lower coefficient means there is less resistance.

4. Can this calculation be used for objects on an incline?

Yes, this calculation can be used for objects on an incline. The angle (θ) in the formula represents the angle between the force and the horizontal, so it can be adjusted to account for inclines.

5. How does the calculated force at an angle with kinetic friction coefficient affect the motion of an object?

The calculated force at an angle with kinetic friction coefficient affects the motion of an object by determining the amount of resistance the object will experience. If the calculated force is greater than the applied force, the object will not move. If the calculated force is less than the applied force, the object will move with an acceleration determined by the net force (applied force - calculated force).