What is the Speed of Sound from Resonance?

In summary, the problem is to calculate the speed of sound based on the given information and the resonance conditions of a plastic tube open at both ends. The tube is raised until maximum loudness is observed at two different positions, with the second position being 65 cm higher than the first. This difference corresponds to a difference in wavelength, and using this information and the given frequency of 256 Hz, the speed of sound can be calculated. The resonance conditions for the tube must fit an odd number of lambda/4, and the difference in length between the two positions can be used to calculate the wavelength and then the speed of sound.
Galileo's Ghost

Homework Statement

One end of a plastic tube, open at both ends, is placed into a large container of water. A 256 Hz tuning fork, continuously vibrating, is held over the end of the tube in the air and the tube is raised until maximum loudness is observed. The plastic tube is then raised until the next position of maximum loudness is found. This new position is 65 cm higher than the first. Calculate the speed of sound.

Homework Equations

v = f x λ
λ = 4 x L (L = length of tube)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a closed ended column of air, only the odd harmonics are capable of resonating. Thus the two positions must correspond to a frequency difference of 512 HZ (ie. the difference between successive odd harmonics).

The 65 cm difference in tube length must correspond to the wavelength. The first situation λ1 = 4 x L. In the second situation, λ2 = 4(L+.65)

Anyway, here is where I keep getting bogged down.

The velocity has to be the same in both situations, so

v = f1λ1 = f2λ2

or f1(4L) = f2 (4L + 2.60)

Also

f1 - f2 = 512

3 variables and 2 equations...seems like I am over-complicating this problem, but if I can figure out either of the sets of frequency and wavelength in the two situations I should be good to go. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, this seems to boil down to that 65 cm corresponding to 1/2 wavelength in the long tube situation...but I do not understand why this is so...

The frequency is the same in both cases. So it's the wavelength.
The resonance conditions are different. The length of the empty tube must fit an odd number of lambda/4.
In the first case the length of the empty region can be for example 5*lambda/4 and in the second case 7*lambda/4.
The difference (known) can be used to calculate lambda and then v (because you know f already.

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. It is dependent on factors such as temperature, humidity, and the density of the medium.

How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured by using a device called a sonic anemometer, which measures the time it takes for sound waves to travel a known distance. It can also be calculated using the formula v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the ratio of specific heats, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What is the relationship between speed of sound and resonance?

Resonance occurs when an object is vibrating at its natural frequency, resulting in an increase in amplitude. The speed of sound can affect resonance because it determines the wavelength and frequency of the sound waves, which can impact the resonant frequency of an object.

How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

Temperature has a direct effect on the speed of sound. As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because warmer air has more energy, causing sound waves to travel faster through the medium.

What factors can affect the speed of sound in different mediums?

The speed of sound can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, humidity, and the density and composition of the medium. For example, sound travels faster in denser mediums, such as water, compared to less dense mediums, such as air. Additionally, the speed of sound can also be affected by the presence of obstacles or barriers in the medium.