Question on Variation of Parameters

In summary: If you use indefinite integral and the integration constant is 0 then the last two terms in the equation are 0 and so the solution is unique. If you use definite integral and the integration constant is not 0 then the last two terms in the equation are not 0 and so there can be more than one solution. In summary, the integration constant does not affect the solution.
yungman
I have a question on the integration part of the Variation of Parameters. Given .[tex]y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=f(x)[/tex]

The associate homogeneous solution .[tex] y_c=c_1y_1 + c_2y_2[/tex].

The particular solution .[tex] y_p=u_1y_1 + c_2y_2[/tex].

[tex]u'_1 = -\frac{W_1}{W} = -\frac{y_2f(x)}{W} [/tex]

This is where I have question. Some books use indefinite integral with the integration constant equal 0.

[tex]u_1= -\int \frac{y_2f(x)}{W}dx[/tex]

But other books gave:

[tex]u_1= -\int_{x_0}^x \frac{y_2f(s)}{W}ds[/tex]

Where [tex]x_0[/tex] is any number in I.

None of the books explain this. Can anyone explain to me about this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If yp = u1y1 + u2y2 is a particular solution you found, then compare this to:

Yp = (u1+A)y1 + (u2+B)y2

=u1y1 + u2y2 + Ay1+ By2

When you plug the second expression into the equation the last two terms give 0 because they satisfy the homogeneous equation. So the constants don't give anything extra.

LCKurtz said:
If yp = u1y1 + u2y2 is a particular solution you found, then compare this to:

Yp = (u1+A)y1 + (u2+B)y2

=u1y1 + u2y2 + Ay1+ By2

When you plug the second expression into the equation the last two terms give 0 because they satisfy the homogeneous equation. So the constants don't give anything extra.

Thanks for the respond.

So you mean even using definite integral, substituding in x0 only produce a constant as in your example of A and B. These will be absorbed into the associate homogeneous part ( into c1 and c2).

yungman said:
This is where I have question. Some books use indefinite integral with the integration constant equal 0.

[tex]u_1= -\int \frac{y_2f(x)}{W}dx[/tex]

But other books gave:

[tex]u_1= -\int_{x_0}^x \frac{y_2f(s)}{W}ds[/tex]

Where [tex]x_0[/tex] is any number in I.

None of the books explain this. Can anyone explain to me about this?

Thanks

Does it matter? We only want a particular solution.

Hi there,

I understand your confusion about the different notations used in different books for the particular solution in Variation of Parameters. Let me try to explain it to you.

Firstly, let's understand what the particular solution represents. In the method of Variation of Parameters, we are trying to find a particular solution that satisfies the original non-homogeneous differential equation. This particular solution is added to the general solution of the associated homogeneous equation to get the complete solution.

Now, coming to the different notations for the particular solution, both the indefinite integral and the definite integral are correct. The indefinite integral with the integration constant equal to 0 is used when we are solving the problem in a general sense. This means that we are not given any specific initial conditions and we are trying to find a solution that satisfies the given differential equation for all values of x.

On the other hand, the definite integral with limits of integration is used when we have specific initial conditions given. In this case, we are solving the problem for a specific value of x (denoted by x_0) and we need to find the particular solution that satisfies the given differential equation for that particular value of x.

In summary, both notations are correct and it just depends on the context of the problem. If specific initial conditions are given, we use the definite integral with limits of integration. Otherwise, we use the indefinite integral with the integration constant equal to 0.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Happy studying!

1. What is the Variation of Parameters method?

The Variation of Parameters method is a technique used in solving differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming that the solution is a linear combination of two functions, and then solving for the coefficients using the initial conditions.

2. When should I use the Variation of Parameters method?

The Variation of Parameters method is typically used when the differential equation is inhomogeneous, meaning it has a non-zero forcing term. It can also be used when the equation is linear, and the coefficients are not constant.

3. How do I apply the Variation of Parameters method?

To apply the Variation of Parameters method, you first need to find the general solution of the homogeneous equation. Then, you assume a particular solution in the form of a linear combination of two functions. Finally, you solve for the coefficients using the initial conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to the Variation of Parameters method?

The Variation of Parameters method can only be used for linear differential equations. It also requires that the coefficients are not constants, and the forcing term is not equal to zero. Additionally, it may not work for more complicated equations with multiple variables.

5. Can the Variation of Parameters method be used for higher-order differential equations?

Yes, the Variation of Parameters method can be extended to higher-order differential equations. However, the process becomes more complex as the order increases, and it may not always be the most efficient method for solving these types of equations.