What to do with a DC to AC power inverter?

In summary, a DC to AC power inverter is a device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity, allowing for the use of electronic devices that require AC power in a DC power source. To use a DC to AC power inverter, it is important to first determine the wattage and voltage requirements of the devices that will be connected to it. Properly sized cables and fuses should also be used to ensure safety and efficient operation. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring of the inverter's temperature and power output is necessary for optimal performance.
wil3
I recently acquired by accident a 750 watt DC to AC power inverter, designed for powering AC appliances off of a car battery or other 12V power source. I have no need for such functionality.

I am really interested in high voltage projects and I was wondering if there are any interesting modifications I can make to the inverter. Is there a way to make a high voltage or current AC to DC rectifier from it (this could be useful for my electroplating projects)? Can I make an HV AC power supply from it somehow?

In general, is there anything interesting at all that I can do with it besides scrapping it for parts?

*Do not lock this thread for my safety. I will work with the utmost caution and avoid any dangerous situations. I have built a resonant Tesla Coil and so I have the necessary experience dealing with high voltage. I simply am new to modern high power systems like integrated circuit power inverters.

**In addition, please do not lock this thread due to fear of propagation of dangerous ideas and the safety of others. Very few inexperienced people will happen upon 750 Watt power inverters in their lifetime, and so it is unlikely some impressionable toddler will glean from this thread a manner of putting themselves in harm's way.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Engineering news on Phys.org
wil3 said:
In general, is there anything interesting at all that I can do with it besides scrapping it for parts?
Send it to me. I'll make use of it as it is. :biggrin:

wil3 said:
. Very few inexperienced people will happen upon 750 Watt power inverters in their lifetime,

750 watt inverters are common products. They can be purchased for under $60. I have 2 that I use for power outages to run the various "household needs"

dr

wil3 said:
I recently acquired by accident a 750 watt DC to AC power inverter, designed for powering AC appliances off of a car battery or other 12V power source. I have no need for such functionality.

Can I make an HV AC power supply from it somehow?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Yes you can. HV is two legs of 110. (220) But if you do that the amps will be cut in half.Instead of 6 amps it will be only 3 amps. What use would you have with a HV 3amp power supply?

Hmmm... maybe run a European electric razor.

Yeah, I was glad I kept mine around "as-is" a few years ago, cause the weather caused an extended power outage.
Pulled the battery out of our second car, hooked it up to the inverter and plugged a lamp in.
We were the only one for several blocks that had a light on.

wil3 said:
**In addition, please do not lock this thread due to fear of propagation of dangerous ideas and the safety of others. Very few inexperienced people will happen upon 750 Watt power inverters in their lifetime, and so it is unlikely some impressionable toddler will glean from this thread a manner of putting themselves in harm's way.

Fist of all, just asking mods not to lock the thread is useless. You can easily read the forum's posting guidelines and see whether your thread meets them.

Secondly, automotive inverters are common and cheap (I personally have a 500W one in my vehicle- it cost $35). I'm not sure what makes you think they are rare and expensive pieces of tech, here is a 750W one for $50 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66817".

HickmanENG. said:
Yes you can. HV is two legs of 110. (220) But if you do that the amps will be cut in half.Instead of 6 amps it will be only 3 amps. What use would you have with a HV 3amp power supply?

Hmmm... maybe run a European electric razor.

When the OP says high voltage he means multiple thousands of volts, not 220v.

Last edited by a moderator:
my cheap 650 watt inverter only outputs 110. even i go between the 2 hots on the plug (which actually reads 0 voltage)
apparently some are only single phase

dr

If you have a mains inverter then just plug in a commercial HV Power supply to it and get the volts you want. You can then do your experiments on the move or at home. - with or without the free inverter yo have.

its not too difficult.

1. What is a DC to AC power inverter?

A DC to AC power inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity. This allows you to use devices that require AC power, such as household appliances, in vehicles or other areas where only DC power is available.

2. How does a DC to AC power inverter work?

A DC to AC power inverter works by converting the DC electricity from a battery or other DC power source into high-frequency AC electricity. This AC electricity is then stepped up to the appropriate voltage level and delivered to the output. The process of conversion is achieved through the use of electronic components such as transistors, diodes, and capacitors.

3. What can I use a DC to AC power inverter for?

A DC to AC power inverter can be used for a variety of purposes, such as powering household appliances, charging electronic devices, and running power tools. It is commonly used in vehicles, RVs, boats, and other remote locations where traditional AC power is not readily available.

4. How do I choose the right DC to AC power inverter?

When choosing a DC to AC power inverter, you should consider the input voltage and power capacity. The input voltage should match the voltage of your power source, and the power capacity should be sufficient to handle the load of your intended devices. It is also important to consider the efficiency and safety features of the inverter.

5. What are the safety precautions when using a DC to AC power inverter?

To ensure safe operation, always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines. Make sure to use appropriate cables and connectors, and never overload the inverter. It is also important to keep the inverter away from water and other liquids, and to disconnect it from the power source when not in use.