Mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems

In summary, mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems refers to the principle that states the total mass of a system remains constant over time. It is important in ensuring the accuracy of mathematical models and maintaining the integrity of numerical solutions. This is achieved through appropriate boundary conditions and numerical methods. Real-world applications include heat transfer, pollution prediction, and nutrient diffusion. However, limitations include external factors and numerical errors that may cause deviations from perfect mass conservation.
ndalchau
Dear all,
I'm trying to solve the 2d heat equation in a radially symmetric domain, numerically using the Crank-Nicolson method. i.e.

[tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial t} = D\left( \dfrac{\partial^2u}{\partial r^2}+\dfrac{1}{r}\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial r}\right)[/tex]

Applying the Crank-Nicolson method basically results in a recurrence relation:

[tex](-q+\frac{z}{r})u_{i-1,j+1} + (1+2q)u_{i,j+1} - (q+\frac{z}{r})u_{i+1,j+1} = (q-\frac{z}{r})u_{i-1,j} + (1-2q)u_{i,j} + (q+\frac{z}{r})u_{i+1,j} [/tex]

where [tex]q=\dfrac{\delta t}{2(\delta r)^2}[/tex], [tex]z=\dfrac{\delta t}{4\delta r}[/tex] and [tex]u_{i,j}[/tex] is the solution at [tex]r=i\delta r, t=j\delta t[/tex].

You can write this into a matrix equation of the form [tex]Au\{j+1\}=Bu\{j\}[/tex], which basically enables you to solve the problem. This all works very nicely for the 1d heat equation (the same differential equation but without the first spatial derivative). However, I now have the problem that the solution doesn't conserve mass. That is, given some initial condition across [tex]r\in (0,R)[/tex], the sum of the solution points decreases over time.

Clearly, if the column sums of A and B are the row vector of 1s, then I am guaranteed mass conservation. However, this is not the case for my Crank-Nicolson implementation here. This results from the [tex]\frac{z}{r}[/tex] changing values and signs between neighbouring rows, which means they don't cancel.

Anyone got any comments? Is there a way of solving these parabolic PDEs in radially symmetric domains that preserves the mass conservation law? Or is my implementation incorrect maybe?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Neil

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Neil,

Thank you for sharing your question with the forum. It sounds like you are working on a very interesting and challenging problem.

One possible solution to your issue with mass conservation could be to modify the Crank-Nicolson method to include a correction term that takes into account the radial symmetry of your domain. This additional term could help ensure that the mass is conserved throughout the solution.

Another approach could be to use a different numerical method that is specifically designed for radially symmetric problems. For example, the Alternating Direction Implicit (ADI) method or the Fractional Step Method can both be used for solving parabolic PDEs in radially symmetric domains and may provide better mass conservation.

It is also important to make sure that your implementation is correct and that there are no errors in the code. You could consider double-checking your code or seeking feedback from other researchers in the field.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and I wish you success in solving your problem. Keep up the good work!

1. What is mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems?

Mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems refers to the principle that states the total mass of a system remains constant over time, even as it undergoes changes due to diffusion or other processes. In other words, the amount of material in the system is conserved, and no mass is lost or gained.

2. Why is mass conservation important in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems?

Mass conservation is important in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems because it ensures that the mathematical model accurately represents the physical system being studied. It also helps to maintain the integrity of the numerical solutions and prevents unrealistic results.

3. How is mass conservation achieved in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems?

Mass conservation is achieved in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems through the use of appropriate boundary conditions and numerical methods. The boundary conditions must accurately reflect the physical system and the numerical methods must be carefully chosen to preserve mass in the calculations.

4. What are some real-world applications of mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems?

Mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems has numerous real-world applications, including modeling heat transfer in materials, predicting the spread of pollutants in the environment, and understanding the diffusion of nutrients in biological systems. It is also commonly used in the design and analysis of chemical and industrial processes.

5. Are there any limitations to mass conservation in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems?

While mass conservation is an important principle in radially symmetric parabolic PDE problems, it is not always applicable in all systems. In some cases, there may be factors such as chemical reactions or external forces that can cause mass to be gained or lost. Additionally, numerical errors and simplifications in the model can also lead to deviations from perfect mass conservation.