Can Music and Science Coexist? Exploring the Intersection of Physics and Music

• Music
  • Thread starter vasel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, there are several songs that have been mentioned that incorporate science or math topics in their lyrics. These include "Chemical Calisthenics" by Blackalicious, "Positive Contact" by Deltron 3030, "Particle" by Better Than Ezra, "The Element Song" by Tom Lehrer, "Parabol/Parabola/Schism/Lateralus" by Tool, "Natural Science" by Rush, and "The Big Bang Theory" by Barenaked Ladies. Each song showcases a different aspect of science or math, from elements to cosmology to geometry. These songs prove that artists can use their creativity to explore and celebrate the world of science.
vasel
I'm looking for music that has something to do with physics, or more generally any science or math topic. I am always intrigued when an artist makes music about science, given some of the social stigmas associated with it in mainstream thinking. Does anyone know of any music like this? I'll give a few examples here:

Chemical Calisthenics by Blackalicious
Sample Lyrics:
"Neutron, proton, mass effect, lyrical oxidation, yo irrelevant
Mass spectrograph, your electron volt, atomic energy erupting
As I get all open on betacron, gamma rays thermo cracking
Cyclotron and any and every mic
You're on trans iridium, if you're always uranium
Molecules, spontaneous combustion, pow..."

Positive Contact by Deltron 3030
"All your rhyme histories combined
Couldn't violate the prime optimus operative
Use my hydrometer to see how warm you are
Watch me form a star
Hydrogen turned to helium when I shine
Riding 'em revealing 'em leading 'em to the vaccume
Interact with tunes in my digital sinital critical pivital with the mental"

Particle by Better Than Ezra
"In an imploding star, or a burned out car, I implore you
In a carbon-arc or a dim lit park, I implore you"

Science news on Phys.org
Try googling the "element song" by Tom Lehrer

Tool: Parabol/parabola/schism/lateralus have something to do with math in each song

Google for "Natural Science" by Rush. Awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5sWfhkpE0

This is really nicely done.

Thanks everyone! I'll check those out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTSfOZUNLo

Barenaked Ladies: The Big Bang Theory

The first part of the song is the theme song to the sitcom with the same name. The only thing that frustrates me about this song is they are using outdated cosmology, and the song came out recently enough that they should know better.

1. How does physics play a role in music?

Physics plays a fundamental role in music, as it helps us understand how sound is created and how it travels through different mediums. The study of acoustics, which is a branch of physics, helps us understand the properties of sound waves and how they interact with different materials, such as air, water, or solid objects. This knowledge is essential for creating and reproducing music.

2. What is the relationship between frequency and pitch in music?

Frequency and pitch are closely related in music. Frequency refers to the number of sound waves produced per second, and it is measured in Hertz (Hz). The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound. In other words, a higher frequency produces a higher-pitched sound, while a lower frequency produces a lower-pitched sound. This relationship is crucial in creating and tuning musical instruments.

3. How do musical instruments produce sound?

Musical instruments produce sound through the vibration of different materials. For example, in string instruments, such as guitars or violins, the strings vibrate when plucked or bowed, creating sound waves. In wind instruments, such as flutes or trumpets, the sound is produced by blowing air through a tube, which causes the air molecules to vibrate and produce sound waves. The specific design and materials of each instrument determine the quality and characteristics of the sound produced.

4. What is the role of resonance in music?

Resonance is an essential concept in both physics and music. In music, resonance refers to the amplification of sound waves by vibrating materials. This phenomenon is what makes certain notes or chords sound louder and fuller on certain instruments. Resonance is also responsible for the unique sound and timbre of different instruments, as each one has its own characteristic resonant frequencies.

5. How do advances in science and technology impact the music industry?

Advances in science and technology have greatly impacted the music industry. From the development of new materials for musical instruments to the use of digital recording and production techniques, science has revolutionized the way we create, produce, and consume music. Additionally, advancements in acoustics and sound engineering have allowed for the creation of high-quality sound systems and live performances that were not possible before.

Back