What is the Kinectic Energy of the baseball?

In summary, kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion and is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. Factors such as mass, velocity, air resistance, and spin can affect the kinetic energy of a baseball. During a game, the kinetic energy of a baseball changes as it is hit and travels through the air. Kinetic energy is important in baseball as it determines the distance and force of the ball's movement and can also impact player safety.
ohheytai
A baseball of mass 143 g is thrown with a velocity of < 22, 15, -12 > m/s. What is the kinetic energy of the baseball?

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i got < 34.6, 16.1, 10.3 > J
but webassign says i am wrong? what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you gte your answers?
What units are they in?

How did you get your answers?
What units are they in?

i plugged it into the equation first i converted grams to kg then did 1/2mv^s

Your calculation using the equation K=1/2mv^2 is correct. However, the answer should be in scalar form, not vector form. This means that you should add the squares of the components of velocity and then multiply by 1/2 and the mass. The correct answer is 29.5 J. This is because the kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, not a vector quantity.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a baseball?

The kinetic energy of a baseball is affected by its mass and velocity. Other factors, such as air resistance and spin, can also have an impact.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a baseball change during a game?

The kinetic energy of a baseball can change during a game depending on its velocity. When a baseball is hit by a bat, its kinetic energy increases due to the increase in velocity. As it travels through the air, its kinetic energy decreases due to air resistance.

5. Why is kinetic energy important in baseball?

Kinetic energy is important in baseball because it determines how far the ball will travel and how much force it will have when it hits another object, such as a bat or a glove. It also plays a role in the safety of players, as a ball with a high kinetic energy can cause more damage upon impact.