Whats a non-trivial linear combination of these functions?

In summary: No problem! :smile:In summary, to find a non-trivial, linear combination of the functions f(x)=17, g(x)=2Sin2(x), and h(x)=3Cos2(x) that vanishes identically, we can set C1 = 17Sin2x + 17Cos2x and apply another coefficient to 2Sin2x and 3Cos2x to make the new coefficient equal 17. This follows from the famous equation sin2x + cos2x = 1.
warfreak131
I have to find a non-trivial, linear combination of the following functions that vanishes identically.

In other words

C1f + C2g + C3h = 0

Where C1, C2, and C3 are all constant, and cannot all = 0.

f(x)=17
g(x)=2Sin2(x)
h(x)=3Cos2(x)

I figure C1 = 0, because there's really no constant relation between the trig functions and 17.

That means that C22Sin2(x)=-C33Cos2(x)

I need help finding C2 and C3. I've already tried substituting with trig identities, but I am getting nothing as of now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi warfreak131! :smile:

c'mon … think! … what's the most famous equation involving cos2 and sin2 ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi warfreak131! :smile:

c'mon … think! … what's the most famous equation involving cos2 and sin2 ? :wink:

I know that sin2x + cos2x = 1, and I've tried that, but I am still not getting it

C22Sin2(x)=-C33Cos2(x)

C22(1-cos2(x))=-C33Cos2(x)

C2(2-2cos2(x))=-C33cos2(x)

but this doesn't simplify into a constant solution, as far as i worked it out

warfreak131 said:
I know that sin2x + cos2x = 1 …

ok, so what = 17? :smile:

get some sleep! :zzz:​

tiny-tim said:
ok, so what = 17? :smile:

get some sleep! :zzz:​
17sin2x+17cos2x?

so C1 = 17Sin2x + 17Cos2x

then just apply another coefficient to 2Sin2x, and 3Cos2x to make the new coefficient equal 17?

Last edited:
yup! :smile:

g'night! :zzz:​

awesome thanks

1. What is a non-trivial linear combination?

A non-trivial linear combination is a mathematical expression formed by multiplying a set of variables by real numbers and adding them together. It is considered non-trivial when at least one of the coefficients is not equal to zero.

2. What are the functions involved in a non-trivial linear combination?

The functions involved in a non-trivial linear combination can vary, but they are typically linear functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions.

3. How is a non-trivial linear combination different from a trivial one?

A trivial linear combination is one where all the coefficients are equal to zero, resulting in a simplified expression of 0. A non-trivial linear combination, on the other hand, has at least one non-zero coefficient, resulting in a non-zero value.

4. What is the purpose of finding a non-trivial linear combination of functions?

Finding a non-trivial linear combination of functions can help in solving mathematical problems, such as finding the roots of a polynomial or determining the behavior of a system. It can also be used to express complex functions in simpler forms.

5. Can a non-trivial linear combination be expressed as a single function?

No, a non-trivial linear combination is a combination of multiple functions and cannot be expressed as a single function. However, it can simplify the overall expression and make it easier to analyze and solve.