Lightly damped oscillator, what is the time constant

This means that in the given equation, \tau is equal to the value of t when A(t) is equal to 1/e times A_0. To find \tau, you can use the natural logarithm function on both sides of the equation and solve for \tau by rearranging the equation. It may also be helpful to watch some physics videos on this topic for a better understanding. In summary, to find the time constant, \tau, in this equation, you can use the natural logarithm function and rearrange the equation to solve for \tau.
Clairepie

Homework Statement

I need to find the time constant, tau,

Homework Equations

WILL EDIT THIS TOMORROW Bleeping FMS giving me major brainache *saddest face ever*

A(t) = A_0 times e^-t/tau

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had numerous attempts and I just fried my (fibromyalgic) brain out with it! The numbers just don't seem right.

Also any good recommendations for physics videos on the subject?

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find [tex]\tau[/tex] by taking the logarithm of the equation you've written there.

[tex] ln(A(t))=ln(A_0)-\frac{t}{\tau} [/tex]

Just rearrange to get [tex]\tau[/tex]
Have you learned logarithms?

[tex]\tau[/tex] is defined as the time it takes the amplitude of an oscillation to fall to 1/e of its original value.

What is a lightly damped oscillator?

A lightly damped oscillator is a system that exhibits oscillatory motion while also experiencing a small amount of damping, or resistance, which gradually reduces the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

What is the time constant of a lightly damped oscillator?

The time constant of a lightly damped oscillator is a measure of how quickly the amplitude of the oscillations decreases due to damping. It is typically denoted by the symbol τ and is equal to 1 divided by the damping coefficient.

How does the time constant affect the behavior of a lightly damped oscillator?

The time constant determines the rate at which the amplitude of the oscillations decreases. A smaller time constant means the oscillations will decrease more quickly, while a larger time constant means the oscillations will decrease more slowly.

What are some real-world examples of lightly damped oscillators?

Some examples of lightly damped oscillators include the swing of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a diving board after it has been released.

How does the time constant of a lightly damped oscillator affect its resonance?

The time constant is directly related to the resonant frequency of a lightly damped oscillator. A larger time constant results in a lower resonant frequency, while a smaller time constant results in a higher resonant frequency. This means that the time constant can affect the amplitude of the oscillations at the resonant frequency.