Reapply to Oxford, or just go to Imperial?

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imperial
In summary: I am from Singapore. I think doing a physics undergraduate in the US would give you a better shot at getting into an American school like Princeton, MIT, or Caltech.
unscientific
Hello guys recently I've applied to Oxford and Imperial for physics and physics with theoretical physics respectively, each a 4-year course leading to a Master's degree. Of course, things would be perfect (if not i wouldn't be asking for opinions here) if both accepted me, but Oxford rejected me while Imperial offers me a place.

I applied for entry in 2011 deferred to 2012, as I'm now under military conscription and would only be released in February 2012, so my question is whether I should reapply to Oxford next year or accept Imperial's offer?

How does Oxford compare with Imperial for physics? What are their different areas of specialty and differences in teaching? Oxford seems to be better in reputation than Imperial because of "brand-name", and the fees are cheaper by £3000/yr and costs of living in London are expensive.

If i reapply to Oxford, I will have to reject Imperial this year :S. So my question is - Is it worth the risk? (To answer that, I need information on the physics departments in both universities)

Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how is an imperial degree regarded in American compared to an Oxbridge's? Which would be better for phd in america for schools like princeton/mit/caltech/harvard

I don't know much at all about Oxford or Imperial, but what would change between now and next year that would make you more likely to be admitted to Oxford?

hmm nothing much, actually my chances would be lower, given that I'm in the military and my knowledge simply fades over time.

This choice matters a lot to me, because it is a stepping stone for my future career. I'm more concerned about the future prospects after graduating from imperial/oxford. Where the opportunities are.

"Iron rusts with disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, all the more does inactivity sap the vigour of the mind."

I would take the Imperial option. The Physics dept there is well regarded, and Oxford Physics isn't all that (not saying it isn't good, but I would say Cambridge is where the Physics is at in the Oxbridge duo, so if it was Cambridge vs Imperial and you had a realistic shot at Cambridge I'd think more carefully..). I don't think any difference between Oxford and Imperial will be very large. I think for US PhD apps, Imperial/Durham/Oxbridge would all be well recieved, all of these places have a few big names working for them, and if manage to do some good undergrad research under such a person that will be really what your PhD acceptance will hang on.

Also as another note which is pretty irrelevant for you at the moment, but they're things I really wish I'd known: If the UK undergrad->US PhD option is what you do end up seeking even though it's very early to tell, take the GRE exams after your second year (you will have all the content down bythen near enough and it will still be fresh unlike in say you're fourth year when you're by then doing more advanced stuff and will have forget certain basic things tested in the GRE) and then this gives you the option to do them again after your 3rd/4th year (if HEP theory is what you end up wanting you will need stellar scores as an international app, high 900's). Also US undergrads are much more research focussed than UK undergrads I've found, try to get summer REU placements in big US colleges during your summer months free (this will really really help) . As an undergrad you tend to focus all on getting first class exam marks, which is def important, but don't neglect research chances as an undergrad, as this is what PhD committee's really look for, and will enable you to get high quality references that really stand out.

Get a sense of perspective on this. You are agonizing over choosing between two of the top three UK universities for math and science. There are only another three or four institutions in the world, outside of the USA, that rank higher for math and science than IC.

You would be crazy not to take the offer you already have, IMO. If you think league tables matter, your only option to make any meaningful improvement on your offer would be to get a place in the USA.

hey you sound like you're from Singapore...

anyway, I would suggest that you accept imperial's offer, because there is not much you can do while in the army to change your application significantly for oxford.

why not apply to to do physics undergrad in the US as well?

mengshuen said:
hey you sound like you're from Singapore...

anyway, I would suggest that you accept imperial's offer, because there is not much you can do while in the army to change your application significantly for oxford.

why not apply to to do physics undergrad in the US as well?

Yeap, I'm Singaporean :)! I wouldn't make a strong/competitive application to the US - 1)Had no CCA in sch (because of 2h3 load), 2)Took the SAT twice already (1820 -> 1920) still get fail marks

unscientific said:
How does Oxford compare with Imperial for physics? What are their different areas of specialty and differences in teaching?

They are both outstanding. In any case, brand name isn't worth as much as you might think it is. It's pretty commonly said that once you graduate, after a year or so of work, where you went to university doesn't matter. Remember undergraduate is also about where you feel you would be a good student. League tables aren't important, at all, once you're looking at top-class universities. It's about which university has the set up, the surroundings and the whole package that will be conducive to getting your degree.

unscientific said:
If i reapply to Oxford, I will have to reject Imperial this year :S. So my question is - Is it worth the risk? (To answer that, I need information on the physics departments in both universities)

No, I would say it isn't worth the risk. Like others have said, why would you get into oxford if you reapplied? Even if you have a top-tier application there's no guarantee - everyone else that's applying is top-class too, and someone has to be rejected.

unscientific said:
Yeap, I'm Singaporean :)! I wouldn't make a strong/competitive application to the US - 1)Had no CCA in sch (because of 2h3 load), 2)Took the SAT twice already (1820 -> 1920) still get fail marks
I see. Then keep Imperial's offer for Physics with Theoretical Physics! You'd have great opportunities after graduation in the states, no matter where you go (Imperial or Oxford).

I'm Singaporean too!

mengshuen said:
I see. Then keep Imperial's offer for Physics with Theoretical Physics! You'd have great opportunities after graduation in the states, no matter where you go (Imperial or Oxford).

I'm Singaporean too!

yeap I heard about you, you're reknowned!

unscientific said:
yeap I heard about you, you're reknowned!
woah don't say that of me. I still have a long way to go...

Good luck with NS and your college selection!

mengshuen said:
woah don't say that of me. I still have a long way to go...

Good luck with NS and your college selection!

Thanks! I've largely decided to go ahead with imperial.

1. Should I reapply to Oxford or just go to Imperial?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and preferences. Both universities have their own strengths and it is important to carefully consider which one aligns better with your academic and career aspirations.

2. What are the main differences between Oxford and Imperial?

Oxford and Imperial have different teaching styles and academic focuses. Oxford is known for its tutorial-based teaching method, while Imperial has a more traditional lecture-based approach. Additionally, Oxford offers a wider range of subjects and has a strong emphasis on humanities, while Imperial is more focused on science and technology.

3. Is it more difficult to get into Oxford than Imperial?

Both universities are highly competitive and have rigorous admission processes. However, Oxford tends to have a lower acceptance rate and may have stricter entry requirements for certain courses. It is important to thoroughly research the specific requirements for your desired course at each university before making a decision.

4. Does the reputation of the university matter?

While the reputation of a university can play a role in job opportunities and networking, it is not the only factor that defines the quality of education and experience. Ultimately, it is important to choose a university that aligns with your academic and personal goals, rather than solely focusing on its reputation.

5. What are the benefits of reapplying to Oxford?

If Oxford is your dream university, reapplying gives you another chance to potentially secure a spot. Additionally, you may have gained new skills, experiences, or qualifications since your first application that could strengthen your chances of being accepted. However, reapplying also requires time, effort, and a strong determination to improve your application.