Magnetic Field of A Current Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnetic field of a dipole using the Biot Savart law and a current loop. The sin in B_A accounts for the angle between the current loop and point A, while the vertical component is cancelled out. The epsilon in the B_B calculation refers to the angle between the current loop and point B. The last two lines of equations are obtained through vector addition of the B_A and B_B components.
jameson2
Isn't exactly a homework question, but it seems like it should go here.
This is a page from my notes that I'm having trouble understanding. Basically, it's calculating the magnetic field of a dipole by considering a current loop and using the Biot Savart law. http://img257.imageshack.us/i/magneticp.jpg/
I can see that B_A will just be 4 times the contribution from one side. I don't see why it's sin though. I take that to mean that you're taking the horizontal effect of the magnetic field. But wouldn't this cancel out taking the 4 sides' contribution? I'm also wondering how the vertical effect of the magnetic field at A is taken into account.
I'm also wondering what the epsilon the B_B calculation is referring to.
Finally I don't quite understand how to get from the B_A and B_B answers to the last two lines of equations.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help.The sin in B_A takes into account the angle between the current loop and the point A. Since the dipole is essentially two current loops, the magnetic field at point A can be assumed to be the sum of the two components. The vertical component is cancelled out by taking the 4 sides' contribution. The epsilon in the B_B calculation refers to the angle between the current loop and the point B. The last two lines of equations are calculated by using the properties of vector addition. Here, the B_A and B_B components are added together to get a single vector representing the total magnetic field of the dipole.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can affect other moving charges.

How is a magnetic field of a current loop created?

A magnetic field of a current loop is created by the flow of electric current through the loop. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow.

What is the direction of the magnetic field around a current loop?

The direction of the magnetic field around a current loop follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field of a current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field of a current loop is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the loop, and the shape and size of the loop.

What are some real-life applications of the magnetic field of a current loop?

The magnetic field of a current loop is used in various technologies, such as motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in compasses for navigation and in particle accelerators for scientific research.