Block on an inclined plane, given mass and angle find acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a 42 kg block of ice sliding down a plane with an angle of 30 degrees. Assuming negligible friction, the task is to find the acceleration of the block down the incline using the equation F=ma. The first step is to draw a free body diagram and identify the components, such as the weight (W) of the block. From there, the X and Y components can be found using trigonometry. However, it is unclear which equation to use to find the acceleration once the weight is known. Assistance is needed to solve the problem.
dhymas

Homework Statement

A 42 kg block of ice slides down a plane with an angle of 30 degrees. Assuming friction is negligible, what is the acceleration of the block down the incline

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the right free body diagram. I just don't understand where to go on from there. Do I need to find the FnetX and Fnet Y using the angle given? If so where do I go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I really need help. I know I need to find W which is W=(42kg)(9.8) which is 411.6. That gives me W on the free body diagram. Which now I can find the X and Y components using cos30(411.6) and sin30(411.6). I just do not know where to go on from here. I don't know what equation to use once I have W to find acceleration.

I would really love some help

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane is a = g * sin(θ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. How does the mass of the block affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

The mass of the block does not directly affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. The acceleration is determined by the angle of the incline and the force of gravity, which is constant.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the block's acceleration?

The angle of the incline has a direct effect on the block's acceleration. As the angle increases, the component of gravity pulling the block down the incline also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration.

4. Can the acceleration of the block on an inclined plane ever be negative?

No, the acceleration of the block on an inclined plane can never be negative. The block will always experience a positive acceleration due to the force of gravity pulling it down the incline.

5. Is the acceleration of the block on an inclined plane affected by friction?

Yes, the acceleration of the block on an inclined plane can be affected by friction. If there is friction between the block and the incline, it will act in the opposite direction of the block's movement and decrease its acceleration.