Double delta-function potential

• Thread starter mattmatt321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in QM involving a double delta-function potential and asks several qualitative questions about the solutions. The solutions for the even and odd wave functions are given, and the conversation also mentions the limit of 2maα/ħ2 >> 1 and 2maα/ħ2 << 1. The conversation suggests plotting the solutions to better understand the problem.
mattmatt321
Hello, recently I had a problem in QM involving a double delta-function potential. A bunch of qualitative questions were asked, some of which were obvious to me immediately, some of which I made an educated guess on, and others I totally guessed. I'm following Griffiths' textbook in studying QM, and luckily I found another problem analogous to the one I had before. Any guidance/explanation would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

The potential is V(x) = -α[[tex]\delta[/tex](x + a) + [tex]\delta[/tex](x - a)].

The problem specifies that we are only conserved about bound states, E < 0.

Homework Equations

In the end, the even wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = e-2ka + 1, and the odd wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = 1 - e-2ka.

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on these solutions, I'm asked a few questions:

1) What is the approximate energies of both the even and odd bound states in the limit 2maα/ħ2 >> 1?
2) Show that as 2maα/ħ2 --> [tex]\infty[/tex], both energies converge to the energy of the bound state of the single delta-function potential.
3) Show that there is only one bound state in the limit 2maα/ħ2 << 1.
4) Show that the wave function behaves like the bound-state wave function of a single delta-function potential for |x| >> a.

Any guidance regarding these questions is appreciated. I might be able to provide more information if anything is unclear.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmatt321 said:
In the end, the even wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = e-2ka + 1, and the odd wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = 1 - e-2ka.
[itex]\hbar[/itex] should be squared in both equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on these solutions, I'm asked a few questions:

1) What is the approximate energies of both the even and odd bound states in the limit 2maα/ħ2 >> 1?
2) Show that as 2maα/ħ2 --> [tex]\infty[/tex], both energies converge to the energy of the bound state of the single delta-function potential.
3) Show that there is only one bound state in the limit 2maα/ħ2 << 1.
4) Show that the wave function behaves like the bound-state wave function of a single delta-function potential for |x| >> a.

Any guidance regarding these questions is appreciated. I might be able to provide more information if anything is unclear.

You can write the relations above as

[tex]\frac{2ka}{2ma\alpha/\hbar^2} = 1\pm e^{-2ka}[/tex]

Let [itex]c=2ma\alpha/\hbar^2[/itex] and [itex]x=2ka[/itex]. Then you get

[tex]\frac{x}{c} = 1 \pm e^{-x}[/tex]

You might find it illuminating to plot both sides of the equation to see where the solutions are and what the effect of varying the parameter c is.

Last edited:

What is a double delta-function potential?

A double delta-function potential is a type of potential energy function used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a specific region. It consists of two delta functions, which represent point-like interactions, separated by a distance.

How does a double delta-function potential affect particle behavior?

The double delta-function potential creates a barrier or well in the region between the two delta functions. This can significantly alter the behavior of particles, causing them to reflect or transmit through the barrier, or become trapped in the well.

What is the significance of a double delta-function potential in quantum mechanics?

The double delta-function potential is a commonly used model in quantum mechanics to study the effects of point-like interactions on particle behavior. It can also be used to understand tunneling phenomena and bound states in potential wells.

Can a double delta-function potential be solved analytically?

Yes, in some cases, a double delta-function potential can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as the WKB approximation or the Bethe ansatz. However, in more complex cases, numerical methods may be necessary.

How is a double delta-function potential related to other types of potentials in quantum mechanics?

The double delta-function potential is closely related to other commonly used potentials in quantum mechanics, such as the square well potential and the delta-function potential. It can be seen as a combination of these two potentials and can be used to study similar phenomena.