Interaction of light with matter

In summary, there are two versions of the interaction Hamiltonian between an electron in an atom and an electromagnetic wave described classically. One version has a factor of 2, while the other does not. It is a matter of convention which version is used. However, the dipole moment operator is always expressed as E.r, regardless of the field definition. Some argue that the factor of 2 comes from the quantum nature of the electromagnetic field, but it is possible to recover the classical result by assuming a coupling with the electromagnetic field operator and an initial coherent state in one of its modes.
paweld
I'm not sure what is the correct interaction hamiltonian between an electron
in an atom and electromagnetic wave (described classically). According to
me there exist two version of this hamiltonian which differ by factor 2:
[tex]
H_{int} = \vec{E_0} \vec{r} \cos(\omega t)
[/tex]
or
[tex]
H_{int} = 2 \vec{E_0} \vec{r} \cos(\omega t) = \vec{E_0} \vec{r} \exp( \textrm{i} \omega t ) + \vec{E_0} \vec{r} \exp(- \textrm{i} \omega t )
[/tex].
Which one is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can specify whatever form of the field you want. Some people specify the field to be 2Ecos(wt) so they can write it as an exponential without carrying the factor of two around throughout the calculation. As long as you know what conventions you are using you should be able to get the right answer.

Are you sure that it's only convention. It looks like the amplitude of the field was E not 2E.

Well you'd have to show the specific example to clarify why a particular author used the factor of 2, but the fact is that the dipole moment operator is just E.r , no matter how you define the field (doesn't need to be a simple sinusoid at all). The 2 must come from something in the definition of the field.

Somebody has told my that the factor 2 comes from quantum nature of electromagnetic
field and if I want to obtain correct answer treating radiation classically then I should
include the factor 2.

I wonder what is the answer if we assume that the coupling is:
[tex]
H_{int} = \hat{\vec{E}} \vec{r}
[/tex]
where [tex] \hat{\vec{E}} [/tex] is the electromagnetic field opperator (derivative of potential opperator
introduced in QED) and the field is initially in coherent state in one of its modes.
Is it possible to recover "classical" result.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These different types of radiation have different wavelengths and frequencies, and each one interacts with matter in different ways.

How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three main ways: reflection, absorption, and transmission. When light hits a surface, it can bounce off (reflection), be absorbed by the material (absorption), or pass through the material (transmission). The way light interacts with matter depends on the properties of both the light and the material it is interacting with.

What is the difference between transparent, translucent, and opaque materials?

Transparent materials allow light to pass through them with very little absorption or reflection. This means that objects on the other side of a transparent material can be seen clearly. Translucent materials also allow some light to pass through, but they scatter the light, making objects on the other side appear blurry. Opaque materials do not allow any light to pass through, so objects on the other side cannot be seen.

How does color affect light-matter interactions?

Color is determined by the wavelength of light that is reflected or transmitted by a material. When white light (which contains all the colors of the visible spectrum) hits an object, the object absorbs some wavelengths and reflects others. The color we perceive is the combination of the wavelengths that are reflected. Different colors can affect how light interacts with matter, such as how much light is absorbed or reflected.

What are some practical applications of studying light-matter interactions?

Understanding how light interacts with matter has many practical applications. For example, it helps us develop new technologies, such as solar panels, lasers, and fiber optics. It also allows us to create and manipulate colors in art and design. In addition, studying light-matter interactions is crucial in fields like medicine, where we use light to diagnose and treat diseases.