Proving Limit of Bilinear Function to 0

• Thread starter yifli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function f is bilinear and has a maxima at (h_1,k_1), (h_2,k_2), (h_3,k_3), (h_4,k_4), (h_5,k_5) and (h_6,k_6). When both hi and ki tend to zero, the numerator gets closer to zero faster than the denominator.
yifli
Prove that [tex]\mbox{lim}_{(h,k) \rightarrow 0} \frac{|f(h,k)|}{|(h,k)|} = 0[/tex], where f is a bilinear function from R^n X R^m -> R^p

I don't know where to start only given the information that f is bilinear.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yifli! :smile:

Start by putting

[tex]h=h_1e_1+...+h_ne_n[/tex]

and

[tex]k=k_1e_1+...+k_me_m[/tex]

where the ei form a basis.

Now, how can you write f(h,k) now?

micromass said:
Hi yifli! :smile:

Start by putting

[tex]h=h_1e_1+...+h_ne_n[/tex]

and

[tex]k=k_1e_1+...+k_me_m[/tex]

where the ei form a basis.

Now, how can you write f(h,k) now?

so f(h,k) can be written as follows:
[tex]f(h,k)=h_1(k_1f(e_1,\overline{e_1})+\cdots+k_mf(e_1,\overline{e_m}))+h_2(k_1f(e_2,\overline{e_1})+ \cdots +k_mf(e_2,\overline{e_m}))+\cdots+h_n(k_1f(e_n,\overline{e_1})+\cdots+k_mf(e_n,\overline{e_m}))[/tex]

e_i and \bar{e_i} represents the basis of R^n and R^m respectively

when both hi and ki tend to zero, I guess the numerator gets closer to zero faster than denominator because of the product hiki.
but how do you argue this rigorously?

yifli said:
so f(h,k) can be written as follows:
[tex]f(h,k)=h_1(k_1f(e_1,\overline{e_1})+\cdots+k_mf(e_1,\overline{e_m}))+h_2(k_1f(e_2,\overline{e_1})+ \cdots +k_mf(e_2,\overline{e_m}))+\cdots+h_n(k_1f(e_n,\overline{e_1})+\cdots+k_mf(e_n,\overline{e_m}))[/tex]

e_i and \bar{e_i} represents the basis of R^n and R^m respectively

when both hi and ki tend to zero, I guess the numerator gets closer to zero faster than denominator because of the product hiki.
but how do you argue this rigorously?

Indeed, let me illustrate this on an example. I hope the general method will be clear from that:

Take

[tex]f:\mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:(x,y)\rightarrow xy[/tex]

Then we need to calculate

[tex]\lim_{(h,k)\rightarrow 0}{\frac{|hk|}{|(h,k)|}}[/tex]

The easiest thing to do is pick the norm (it works without this too).

[tex]|(h,k)|=\max\{h,k\}[/tex]

Then we know that [itex]h\leq \max\{h,k\}[/itex], thus

[tex]\frac{|h|}{|(h,k)|}\leq 1[/tex]

Hence

[tex]0\leq \lim_{(h,k)\rightarrow 0}{\frac{|hk|}{|(h,k)|}}\leq \lim_{(h,k)\rightarrow 0}{|k|}=0[/tex]

Try to do this in the general case...

1. What is a bilinear function?

A bilinear function is a mathematical function that takes two variables and outputs a value. It is called "bilinear" because it is linear in both variables, meaning that when one variable is held constant, the function is linear in the other variable.

2. How is the limit of a bilinear function defined?

The limit of a bilinear function is defined as the value that the function approaches as the two variables approach a specific point. This point is usually denoted as (x0, y0) and the limit is denoted as lim f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (x0,y0).

3. Why is proving the limit of a bilinear function to 0 important?

Proving the limit of a bilinear function to 0 is important because it can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function at a specific point. It can also help in determining the continuity and differentiability of the function at that point.

4. What is the process for proving the limit of a bilinear function to 0?

The process for proving the limit of a bilinear function to 0 involves setting up the definition of the limit and using algebraic manipulation and/or inequalities to show that the function approaches 0 as the two variables approach a specific point.

5. Can the limit of a bilinear function approach a value other than 0?

Yes, the limit of a bilinear function can approach a value other than 0. This value can be any real number or infinity, depending on the function and the specific point at which the limit is being evaluated.