Diffraction grating & young double slit -light not perpendicular to grating

In summary, the question posed was about what happens if the light shone into a diffraction grating or double slit is not perpendicular to the surface. The attempted solution suggests that the interference pattern may shift due to incoherent light, but the fringe separation will not be affected. The conversation then moves on to discussing the path difference between neighboring slits and the potential benefits of drawing a diagram.
nousername

Homework Statement

I was a asked a question from an experiment: What happens if the light shone into the diffraction grating or a double slit is not perpendicular to the diffraction grating or double slit? What will happen?

The Attempt at a Solution

Straight away i can tell that the light might not arrive coherently to the slits because of this. But i don't know how incoherent light coming out of the slits will effect anything. All i can imagine happening is that the interference pattern will just shift, so lines of reinforcement will not appear where they were before, but the fringe separation (for double slit) will not be effected at all? Am i right? Or wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the path difference between the rays going through two neighbouring slits. I drawing would be beneficial. ehild

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical device that consists of a large number of closely spaced parallel lines or grooves on a surface. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths and is commonly used in spectroscopy and other scientific experiments.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it is diffracted or bent in different directions depending on its wavelength. This is because the spacing between the lines on the grating is similar to the wavelength of light, causing constructive and destructive interference patterns to form.

3. What is the Young's double slit experiment?

The Young's double slit experiment is a classic experiment that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing light through two closely spaced parallel slits and observing the interference patterns that are produced on a screen.

4. Can light be diffracted if it is not perpendicular to the grating?

Yes, light can still be diffracted by a grating even if it is not perpendicular to the grating. However, the diffraction pattern will be different compared to when the light is perpendicular to the grating, as the angle of diffraction will change.

5. What are the applications of diffraction gratings and Young's double slit experiment?

Diffraction gratings and Young's double slit experiment have various applications in the fields of optics and spectroscopy. They are used in spectrometers to analyze the composition of light, in optical instruments to create custom light patterns, and in various scientific experiments to study the properties of light and matter.