How Can Angular Momentum Be Described for a Rotating and Translating Disk?

In the case of the rotating disk, the linear momentum is given by \vec{p} = m\vec{v}, where m is the mass of the disk and \vec{v} is the translational velocity of the center of mass. Therefore, the angular momentum of the disk due to translation is \vec{L} = m\vec{v}\times\vec{r}. Since the disk is translating parallel to the y-axis, the angular momentum will have components in the x and z directions (Lx and Lz), while the Ly component will be zero. The total angular momentum, therefore, will have time-varying components Lx and Lz, and a fixed component Ly due to the rotation of the
Zenshin
Hello. Could anyone give me a hint in this problem? There´s a disk (mass m ad radius a) rotating with angular velocity w0 (only rotation). If this disk is translating in xy plane, parallel with the y-axis with its center aligned at x0, how ca I describe the angular momentum L (t), and it´s components, Lx Ly and Lz (with respect with the xyz coordinate system). Any ideas? (I think it´ll have variational Lx and Ly and a fixed Lz)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are given the translational speed?

In any case, the total angular momentum is the sum of:
(1) angular momentum of the disk due to its rotation about the center of mass
(2) angular momentum of the disk due to the translation of its center of mass (consider the mass concentrated at the center of mass)​

Oh yes, I forgot, the translation velocity is also given (v). But, since the disc translates in a linear way (it only rotates about itself), how can I define a angular momentum of it's translation? I think the parallel axis theorem (Steiner) doesn't apply here.

Thanks

The angular momentum (with respect to the origin) of a moving particle is defined as [itex]\vec{L} = \vec{r}\times\vec{p}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is the linear momentum and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the position vector.

1. What is "Rotating Disk Translation"?

Rotating Disk Translation is a scientific term used to describe the movement of a disk in a circular motion while also moving in a straight line. This phenomenon is commonly observed in machines such as engines and turbines.

2. How does "Rotating Disk Translation" work?

Rotating Disk Translation works by converting rotational motion into linear motion. This is achieved through the use of gears or belts that connect the rotating disk to a linear actuator, allowing the disk to move in a straight line while also rotating.

3. What are some applications of "Rotating Disk Translation"?

Rotating Disk Translation has various applications in different industries, including power generation, transportation, and robotics. It is commonly used in engines, turbines, and pumps to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of "Rotating Disk Translation"?

The efficiency of Rotating Disk Translation is affected by several factors, including the material and design of the disk, the type and quality of the gears or belts used, and the alignment and lubrication of the moving parts.

5. Are there any limitations to "Rotating Disk Translation"?

One limitation of Rotating Disk Translation is that it can only achieve a limited range of linear motion depending on the size and design of the disk. Additionally, the moving parts of the mechanism may experience wear and tear over time, affecting its efficiency and requiring regular maintenance.