Why Does It Take 1.4s for 10m Drop at 10m/s?

In summary, the reason it takes 1.4 seconds for something to fall 10 meters (at 10m/s) with no air resistance is because it starts from rest and the average speed during the first second is only 5 m/s, thus it falls 5 meters during that first second. This was clarified by the expert, who also pointed out that g = 10 m/s2.
tbbyrd
If somthing falls 10 meters (at 10m/s), ignoring air resistance, why does it take 1.4s to land instead of just one?

I suppose i am simply having a brain fart but this is bothering me...

Physics news on Phys.org
tbbyrd said:
If somthing falls 10 meters (at 10m/s), ignoring air resistance, why does it take 1.4s to land instead of just one?

I suppose i am simply having a brain fart but this is bothering me...
Taking g = 10 m/s2, after 1 second the speed will be 10 m/s. But realize that it started from rest, so the average speed during that first second is only 5 m/s, thus it only fell 5 meters during that first second.

perfect. thanks so much, you definitely just cleared that up for me!

1. Why does it take 1.4s for 10m to drop at 10m/s?

This is due to the acceleration of gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that every second, an object will increase its speed by 9.8 meters per second. Therefore, it takes 1.4 seconds for an object to reach a speed of 10 meters per second.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to drop a certain distance at a constant velocity?

The formula for calculating time is t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity. In this case, the distance is 10 meters and the velocity is 10 meters per second, so the calculation would be t = 10m/10m/s = 1 second. However, this formula assumes that there is no air resistance or other factors affecting the object's velocity.

3. Does the time it takes for an object to drop depend on its mass?

No, the time it takes for an object to drop does not depend on its mass. This is because gravity acts the same on all objects, regardless of their mass. So, a feather and a bowling ball will take the same amount of time to drop from the same height.

4. How does air resistance affect the time it takes for an object to drop?

Air resistance can affect the time it takes for an object to drop by slowing down its velocity. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its acceleration. Therefore, the object will take longer to reach a certain velocity and ultimately take longer to drop a certain distance.

5. Can the acceleration of gravity change and affect the time it takes for an object to drop?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity can change depending on the location and environment. For example, on Earth, the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared, but on the moon, it is only 1.6 meters per second squared. This means that an object will take longer to drop a certain distance on the moon compared to on Earth.