Intersection of open sets

In summary: Easy!In summary, the intersection of two open sets is an open set. This is true for any number of open sets.
jinsing

Homework Statement

a) If U and V are open sets, then the intersection of U and V (written U \cap V) is an open set.
b) Is this true for an infinite collection of open sets?

Homework Equations

Just knowledge about open sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Let U and V be open sets, x be in U \cap V, and a,b be real numbers. Then there exists open intervals (a1,b1) in U and (a2,b2) in V such that x is in (a1,b1) and x is in (a2,b2). Now let (a,b) = (a1,b1) \cap (a2,b2). Since x is in (a1, b1) and x is in (a2,b2), then x is in (a,b) and by definition is an open interval. Moreover, since (a,b) is a subset of U \cap V, then U \cap V is an open set.

Is there anything I'm missing from this proof, like proving that the intersection (a1,b1) \cap (a2,b2) is an open interval? Or is that overdoing it..?

b) I know this isn't true (the intersection from n=1 to infinity of all open sets (-1/n, 1/n) = {0}, which is not an open set), but again I feel like I'm missing something - specifically proving that {0} is the intersection of all of those open sets, and proving {0} is not open.

I know these questions are incredibly straightforward, but my professor is kind of a stickler on the little details, especially the ones that seem pretty obvious. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
jinsing said:
a) Let U and V be open sets, x be in U \cap V, and a,b be real numbers. Then there exists open intervals (a1,b1) in U and (a2,b2) in V such that x is in (a1,b1) and x is in (a2,b2). Now let (a,b) = (a1,b1) \cap (a2,b2). Since x is in (a1, b1) and x is in (a2,b2), then x is in (a,b) and by definition is an open interval. Moreover, since (a,b) is a subset of U \cap V, then U \cap V is an open set.

This is good. However, it would be nice to state in the beginning that you are working with open sets in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Your argument does not hold for other spaces (as the open sets there are not necessarily generated by intervals).

Is there anything I'm missing from this proof, like proving that the intersection (a1,b1) \cap (a2,b2) is an open interval? Or is that overdoing it..?

This is crucial. I would include it.

b) I know this isn't true (the intersection from n=1 to infinity of all open sets (-1/n, 1/n) = {0}, which is not an open set), but again I feel like I'm missing something - specifically proving that {0} is the intersection of all of those open sets, and proving {0} is not open.

OK, you got the point. Now, where are you stuck? On proving that intersection, or proving that {0} isn't open??

By the way, it is possible to type LaTeX here. See this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

I'm basically stuck on proving the intersection (for both parts a and b) and proving 0 isn't open. I think I need just a shove in the right direction..they seem so self-explanatory to me that I don't know how to go about proving any of these things too rigorously.

OK, let's start by proving that {0} isn't open. We need definitions for this. How did you define open??

A set S is open if for all x in S there is an open interval (a,b) contained in S with x in (a,b).

Could we say that for any ε > 0 there is no open interval (0-ε, 0+ε) that is contained within {0}, so {0} isn't open? Or something like that?

jinsing said:
A set S is open if for all x in S there is an open interval (a,b) contained in S with x in (a,b).

Good. Let's apply this definition on {0}. Clearly, our x=0. So we must find an open interval [itex](a,b)\subseteq \{0\}[/itex] such that 0 is in (a,b). But then [itex](a,b)=\{0\}[/itex] has one element. Can you derive a contradiction from this?? (for example, by showing that (a,b) has more than one element).

For the intersection questions. You need to prove

[tex](a,b)\cap (c,d)=(\max\{a,c\},\min\{b,d\})[/tex]

and

[tex]\bigcap_{n\in \mathbb{N}_0}{(-1/n,1/n)}=\{0\}[/tex]

These are just equalities of sets. Do you know how to show an equality of sets?? To prove A=B, just pick an x in A and show that it is in B and pick an x in B and show that it is in A.

1. What is the definition of an intersection of open sets?

An intersection of open sets refers to the set of all elements that are contained in two or more open sets at the same time. In other words, it is the common elements shared by the open sets.

2. How is the intersection of open sets different from the intersection of closed sets?

The main difference between the intersection of open sets and the intersection of closed sets is that the former includes the boundary points, while the latter does not. This means that the intersection of open sets may include points that are not part of any individual set, while the intersection of closed sets only includes points that are in all of the individual sets.

3. Can the intersection of open sets be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of open sets to be empty. This occurs when there are no common elements between the open sets, meaning they do not overlap at all.

4. How is the intersection of open sets related to the concept of a topological space?

In a topological space, the intersection of open sets forms a basis for the open sets in that space. This means that any open set in the space can be expressed as a union of intersections of open sets.

5. Are there any special properties of the intersection of open sets?

One notable property of the intersection of open sets is that it is always an open set itself. This is because, by definition, the intersection only contains elements that are also in open sets, making it an open set as well.