Would we be better off without political parties?

• News
  • Thread starter lucifer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the drawbacks of the two-party political system and suggests the possibility of having more parties or no parties at all. This would promote democracy and allow for more accurate representation of people's views in the government. The current system often forces voters to compromise and choose the "lesser of two evils." However, there are also arguments in favor of political parties, such as providing stability and helping voters find candidates who align with their beliefs.
lucifer
or even with more than just two main ones... i mean for ex. this time around a lot of people including me felt that both the candidates sucked ass. anyways, no political parties would mean that people would actually think about what each candidate stands for and not just vote blindly along party lines without having a decent knowledge of the issues.

or even if you are going to have parties, make sure that there just aren't two of 'em. i think with more parties, it's likely that more people would be interested in politics because the chance of them finding a party which would defend each person's interest would be greater. it's likely people will have to compromise and vote for the 'lesser of the two evils'. there would also be more debate and that potentially means improvement.

both having no or having more parties would promote democracy as people's views will be more accurately represented in the government and that's the basic idea behind indirect democracy.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think that would be good. two territories in Canada don't have any parties (nunavut & NWT); all the people in the legislature are elected as independents. the premier is elected by the members of the legislative assembly. i think that's a much better system than the current "party line" system where people can't really vote the way they want all the time, and they're labelled as one thing or another.

I think there are two main reasons political parties exist.
1. They provide a good deal of stability to the government.
2. They help a voter find a canidate whose platform they agree with.
I like political parties but I don't particularly like the two party system that exists in the United States (I am a registered Independent). Basically the problem is the two parties just try to appeal to the most number of voters and whichever one who appeals to the most will get the most votes. This is something that I find to be something that can become very contradictory and hypocritical very quickly.
Then there's the whole can of worms regarding third parties in the US but that deserves another thread probably...

lucifer said:
...it's likely people will have to compromise and vote for the 'lesser of the two evils'.

Am I tripping? Is this a thread by lucifer encouraging us to vote for the lesser of two evils? Which edition of the bible did John fortell this in?

1. What is the purpose of political parties?

Political parties serve as a way for individuals to organize and advocate for their political beliefs and agendas. They also play a role in the electoral process by nominating candidates and mobilizing voters.

2. How do political parties impact the functioning of government?

Political parties can influence the policy-making process by promoting their own agendas and ideologies. They also play a role in shaping public opinion and providing checks and balances within the government.

3. Are there any drawbacks to having political parties?

Some argue that political parties can create a divisive and polarizing political climate, leading to gridlock and hindering progress. They can also perpetuate a two-party system, limiting the representation of diverse perspectives.

4. Could the government function without political parties?

It is possible for a government to function without political parties, as seen in some non-partisan systems. However, this can also lead to challenges in decision-making and representation, as there may be a lack of organized opposition and diverse perspectives.

5. Would we see any changes in the political landscape without political parties?

Without political parties, there would likely be a shift in the way individuals and groups organize and advocate for their political beliefs. The electoral process may also change, as there would be no party nominations. However, it is difficult to predict the exact changes that would occur without political parties.