What will be the last vestige of the human race?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human Race
In summary: In the end, after many failed attempts, they resorted to dumping the poison into the water supply. In the end, they were wiped out by their own toxin.In summary, the last vestige of the human race will be a disk by Ozymandias Osbourne. It will contain a single sentence recorded on it in a gruff, Eastern European sounding voice that reads "This is the President of the greatest kaahntree on the plaahnet, and such things as this...aah'll be bakh."
Loren Booda
What will be the last existing vestige of the human race?

How shall it compare to the first such evidence?

Will it be characteristic of humanity in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't it be cool if the last vestige was a hard drive somewhere that only contained PF general disscussion threads. Whom ever finds it will think that humans were very romantic and poetic...and horny. and yes it will be characteristic

How about radioactive dump sites?

Carbon dating is often done on artifacts in prehistoric campfire locations.

Thermonuclear destruction may be ultimately representative of man's brutality toward man and the means to our end.

Loren Booda said:
How about radioactive dump sites?

That was one thought that crossed my mind. The other was styrofoam food containers.

Voyager 2.
Of course "The Sounds of Earth" and pictures were included.

A weapon of some sort most likely, I can't immagine us going out without a fight, a fight against outselves.

Probably an obscure layer of sedimentary rock that for the time being I will call "cementstone" left at the quaternary-whatever comes next unconformity. I've often wondered what sort of confusion we would cause to the geologists of the future if they weren't aware of our presence or level of development. Lithified landfills would be a good one I imagine, with mountains of fossilised polystyrene food containers and suchlike. Or am I thinking a little too far ahead?

tribdog said:
wouldn't it be cool if the last vestige was a hard drive somewhere that only contained PF general disscussion threads. Whom ever finds it will think that humans were very romantic and poetic...and horny. and yes it will be characteristic
If they could understand English.

Ivan Seeking said:
Voyager 2.
Of course "The Sounds of Earth" and pictures were included.

Yes, that is likely to outlast anything left here on earth. Yay!

Pampers. :rofl:

I don't know why but the first thing I could think of was that Arthur C. Clarke short story where the reptiles on Venus find a few artifacts left on frozen Earth (anyone read that one?). In it the thing that ends up being the icon for the rest of time for humanity was a Walt Disney movie.

In years to come super-intelligent horse archaeologists will be digging in the Antartic, by that time will be desert, and they willl uncover a box made out of syntheitc polymers containing a shiny circular disc. In the box there will be an aged but legible inlay card which will depict an two upright ape creatures,one hloding a wooden musical instrument, across this picture will be wetitten the legend: "Spaced Out: The Best of William Shatner and Leonrad Nimoy". LOOK UPON MY WORK YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR!

Last edited:
jcsd,

How about a disk by Ozymandias Osbourne?

The travelers came from afar, they heard the tell tale sounds of our demise, they gathered up the junk from the outer planets and moons, and threw it onto the larger debris ring whose increased size is the only evidence of the ex third planet of this solar system. Attempts to adjust the planetary orbit had caused a breakup, just after the collapse of the lunar gravitational relationship. The moon had simply reattached to Earth after a disastrous attempt to create lunar spin to accommodate more consistent lunar solar energy generation, and overall warmth for the mining operation. The last vestiges of the human race were to be frantic calls for help sent out into the galaxy, and the eerie ring of radio emissions, a gradually growing cosmic donut of sound broadening to rebound like soft summer wavelets off the edges of our universe, Bah dah, bah dah, I wish they all could be California girls...

An eight track with a single sentence recorded on it in a gruff, Eastern European sounding voice :

"This is the President of the greatest kaahntree on the plaahnet, and such things as this...aah'll be bakh"

Last edited:
How about billions of inch-long tan fibrous thingies that are absolutely everywhere. Upon inspection they will all be found to contain a deadly poison. Evidently, this civilization tried by various methods to poison itself and everything else with nicotine.

What will be the last vestige of the human race?

The last vestige of the human race is a complex and debated topic among scientists and philosophers. There is no clear answer, as it ultimately depends on various factors such as the sustainability of our planet, technological advancements, and potential scenarios that may lead to the extinction of the human race. However, based on current scientific understanding, here are the five most frequently asked questions about the last vestige of the human race:

1. Will humans go extinct?

It is impossible to predict with certainty whether humans will go extinct. However, many scientists believe that the human race is facing very real and urgent threats, such as climate change, overpopulation, and the potential for nuclear war. These threats could potentially lead to the extinction of the human race if not addressed and mitigated.

2. Will technology save us?

Technology has the potential to both harm and save the human race. It has allowed us to advance and evolve as a species, but it also poses risks such as artificial intelligence and nuclear weapons. While technology may provide solutions to some of our current threats, it is not a guaranteed savior and must be used wisely and ethically.

3. What about colonizing other planets?

Some people believe that colonizing other planets is the solution to preserving the human race. However, this is not a feasible option for the majority of the population, and it is uncertain if other planets can sustain human life. Additionally, many ethical concerns arise when discussing the colonization of other planets and the potential exploitation of resources and indigenous life.

4. Could we evolve into a different species?

It is possible that humans could evolve into a different species over time, as evolution is a natural process. However, this would likely take thousands or even millions of years, and there is no guarantee that this new species would be able to survive in the changing environment.

5. Is there any hope for the survival of the human race?

Despite the potential threats and challenges facing the human race, there is still hope for our survival. Many scientists, activists, and individuals are working towards solutions and raising awareness about the issues we face. It is up to us as a global community to take action and make changes towards a more sustainable and ethical future for the human race.