Does bond polarity affect bond strength and length in covalent compounds?

In summary, the bond polarity of covalent compounds does affect both bond strength and length. The strength of a covalent bond is determined by the difference in electronegativity between the two atoms involved, with greater polarity resulting in a stronger bond. Bond length, on the other hand, is directly influenced by the strength of the bond, with more polar bonds being shorter in length. Additionally, bond polarity can also affect the overall polarity and reactivity of a molecule.
Bipolarity
I have some confusion about the relationship between bond polarity and bond length.

Generally strong bonds are short in length.
Generally strong bonds are more polar. (Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds).

Therefore, the more polar bonds tend to be shorter in length?

And yet, the dipole moment is the product of charge and distance, which implies that the longer the distance, the more the polarity?

I thank you for your time to resolve my confusion.

BiP

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
I have some confusion about the relationship between bond polarity and bond length.

Generally strong bonds are short in length.

This is true.

Bipolarity said:
Generally strong bonds are more polar. (Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds).

Are you sure about that? There is overlap, but generally, covalent bonds are stronger.

aroc91 said:
This is true.

Are you sure about that? There is overlap, but generally, covalent bonds are stronger.

My guess is that because ionic bonds are more polar, the electrostatic attractions are stronger. I see no reason why covalent bonds should be stronger than ionic bonds. I suppose it probably differs from compound to compound.

But let's forget I said anything about ionic compounds.
Within covalent compounds, does polarity lead to bond strength?

Last edited:
I don't think so. There are many interrelated factors, especially regarding acids-

http://library.thinkquest.org/C006669/data/Chem/acidsbases/factors.html

1. As polarity of X-H bonds increases, acidity increases, so as polarity goes up, bond stability goes down.

2. As anion size increases, acidity increases. This may seem contrary to point #1, but that didn't take conjugate base stability into account.

So, based on #2, you could say that increased polarity leads to increased bond strength, but that's not looking at the big picture. That said, X-H bonds are some of the most polar bonds and acids are defined by the weakness of those bonds.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/bondel.html (I'm particularly looking at the table in blue)

The 5 strongest bonds, from strongest to weakest are- N*N (triple bond), C*C, C=C, H-F, and O=O. This tells a much different story and one that I would say is generally more applicable.

If this post seems kind of sloppy, it's late and I've been throwing stuff in and editing this post as I've been reading more and more.

aroc91 said:
I don't think so. There are many interrelated factors, especially regarding acids-

http://library.thinkquest.org/C006669/data/Chem/acidsbases/factors.html

1. As polarity of X-H bonds increases, acidity increases, so as polarity goes up, bond stability goes down.

2. As anion size increases, acidity increases. This may seem contrary to point #1, but that didn't take conjugate base stability into account.

So, based on #2, you could say that increased polarity leads to increased bond strength, but that's not looking at the big picture. That said, X-H bonds are some of the most polar bonds and acids are defined by the weakness of those bonds.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/bondel.html (I'm particularly looking at the table in blue)

The 5 strongest bonds, from strongest to weakest are- N*N (triple bond), C*C, C=C, H-F, and O=O. This tells a much different story and one that I would say is generally more applicable.

If this post seems kind of sloppy, it's late and I've been throwing stuff in and editing this post as I've been reading more and more.

YEs! That's the post I've been looking for! I never thought about it by considering what determines the acid dissociation constants of most acids. In my textbook too it says that higher polarity contributes to more acidity (thus more instability and less bond strength) and that higher bond strength contributes to less acidity (by virtue of its tight grip on its hydrogens).

In fact, I sort of thought of looking at it a different way:
Bond polarity is given by the net electric dipole which for a diatomic covalent compound is given by μ = qr.
Bond strength is simply the Coloumb force so it is F = k(q1)(q2)/(r^2).

IF you increase r, you will increase both μ and decrease F. But the decrease in F is more significant than the increase in μ because of the exponent of 'r' in the Coloumb law.
Therefore, though the H-X bond sort of becomes more polar, it becomes significantly weaker in terms of electrostatic strength, hence the greater acidity!
Thus both the effects that contribute to acidity are countering one another, but the bond strength (effect number 2) is more significant, so its effect is recognized.

I thank you greatly for your time! I get it NOW!

With regards,
BiP

Likes SilverSoldier
Glad I could help!

aroc91 said:
This is true.

Ionic bonds are based on electrostatic attraction (differences in electronegativity). Covalent bonds are usually stronger because electrons are shared between atoms.

Bipolarity said:
My guess is that because ionic bonds are more polar, the electrostatic attractions are stronger. I see no reason why covalent bonds should be stronger than ionic bonds. I suppose it probably differs from compound to compound.

But let's forget I said anything about ionic compounds.
Within covalent compounds, does polarity lead to bond strength?

Ionic bonds>polar covalent bonds>nonpolar covalent bonds when it comes to the differences in electronegativity of atoms but this isn't necessarily correlated with bond length. Triple bonds< double bonds< single bonds in length but dipole moments (polarity) are determined by the difference in electronegativity of the atoms.

1. What is the difference between bond polarity and bond length?

Bond polarity refers to the unequal distribution of electrons between two atoms in a chemical bond, while bond length refers to the distance between the nuclei of two bonded atoms.

2. How does bond polarity affect bond length?

Bond polarity can affect bond length by pulling the bonded atoms closer together or pushing them farther apart, depending on the nature of the polarity. For example, a polar bond with a higher electronegativity difference between the two atoms will have a shorter bond length due to the stronger attraction between the nuclei and shared electrons.

3. Is there a relationship between bond polarity and bond length?

Yes, there is a relationship between bond polarity and bond length. Generally, the higher the bond polarity, the shorter the bond length. This is because a greater difference in electronegativity between two atoms leads to a stronger attraction and thus a shorter bond length.

4. How can bond polarity and bond length be determined?

Bond polarity can be determined by calculating the difference in electronegativity between two atoms in a bond. Bond length can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or spectroscopy.

5. Can bond polarity and bond length change?

Yes, bond polarity and bond length can change. Chemical reactions and interactions with other molecules can alter the distribution of electrons in a bond, leading to changes in bond polarity. Similarly, changes in temperature and pressure can affect bond length by altering the distance between atoms.