When can I decompose a random variable $Y=X'-X''$?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding two i.i.d. random variables X' and X'' and a symmetric random variable Y such that Y = X'-X'' and their probabilities can be mapped to the inverse values using the convolution property. The main goal is to find a relationship between the CDFs of the random variables using integral expressions.
aspiring88
I am wondering if I can find a decomposition of [itex]Y[/itex] that is absolutely continuous nto two i.i.d. random variables [itex]X'[/itex] and [itex]X''[/itex] such that [itex]Y=X'-X''[/itex], where [itex]X'[/itex] is also Lebesgue measure with an almost everywhere positive density w.r.t to the Lebesge mesure.

My main intent is to come up with two i.i.d. random variable, [itex]X'[/itex] and [itex]X''[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] and [itex]Y''[/itex], such that [itex]Pr(m> Y'-Y'')=Pr(m>X'-X'')[/itex] for [itex]m \in (-b,b)[/itex] for some [itex]b[/itex] small enough, while [itex]Pr(m+2> Y'-Y'')=Pr(m+1> X'-X'')[/itex]. I figured starting first by constructing a measure on the difference first that satisfies the above then decomposing it. Is this possible?

Thanks so much in advance for your much appreciated help.

Mod note: fixed LaTeX

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fix the latex.

Firstly your Y must be symmetric. If it has a characteristic function g(t) you could check whether g(t) = h(t)h(-t) for some other c.f. h(t).

Hey aspiring88 and welcome to the forums.

Since you are using the i.i.d property for your random variables, what you can do is use the convolution property, but you have to map your probabilities to the 'inverse' values instead of the positive values: in other words if your domain for the B RV in X = A + B is [0,infinity), then you have to change the mapping from (-infinity,0] and this can be done by just flipping the sign.

Using the convolution theorem, you can substitute your identities in and you will have a relationship that has to hold.

Because the convolution should return the CDF directly, this means that you should basically get a relationship between two integral expressions and from there you can get more specific with the properties of your density functions as you wish.

Thanks so much @chiro and @bpet. I'm still a bit loss. So you're recommendation is to start with one arbitrary characteristic function that is hopefully decomposable and see if I can craft another one?

Thanks again.

What is a random variable?

A random variable is a mathematical concept that represents an unknown quantity, typically denoted by a letter such as X or Y. It can take on different values based on the outcome of a random event or experiment.

What does it mean to decompose a random variable?

Decomposing a random variable means breaking it down into smaller, more manageable components. In the case of $Y=X'-X''$, the random variable Y is being decomposed into two smaller random variables, X' and X''.

When can a random variable be decomposed?

A random variable can be decomposed when it can be expressed as a combination of two or more smaller random variables. In the case of $Y=X'-X''$, the random variable Y can be decomposed into X' and X'' because it is a difference between two random variables.

What is the purpose of decomposing a random variable?

The purpose of decomposing a random variable is to simplify the analysis of complex systems. It allows for a better understanding of the underlying factors and relationships that contribute to the random variable. In some cases, it can also make it easier to calculate probabilities and other statistical measures.

Are there any limitations to decomposing a random variable?

Yes, there are limitations to decomposing a random variable. It may not always be possible to break down a random variable into smaller components. Also, the decomposition may not accurately capture the full complexity of the original random variable. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of any decomposition method used.