Explore the Uproar Around Shark Tale: Spielberg's Mafia-Themed Animated Movie

In summary, the movie Shark Tale is causing a bit of an uproar because of its parody of several pop culture staples. The story follows the mafia-themed adventures of a fish crime boss's son who is killed and a hustler with fast talking skills poses as the killer known as the "sharkslayer". Oscar eventually learns that it is a dangerous game and becomes good friends with Lenny, the now-vegetarian shark boss. Another important character in the movie is a shark named Lenny who is the now-the-boss'-sole-heir, but is a disgrace to the family name and runs away to disguise himself as a dolphin. The movie ends with Oscar admitting that he lied and the boss accepting Lenny
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone seen the Spielberg/Dreamworks animated movie, Shark Tale ?

It's causing a bit of an uproar.

The plot involves parodies of several pop culture staples - Jaws, The Godfather, etc. It's a mafia themed movie, set in the world of saltwater fish - the story of what happens when the son of the shark boss(De Niro) of a fish crime family is killed by a dropped anchor, and a bottom-feeder named Oscar (Will Smith) is found at the scene of the crime. Hoping to win favor with the enemies of the ganglord, the fast-talking hustler poses as the killer known as the "sharkslayer", but soon learns it's a dangerous game in a world where the big fish generally eat the little fish.

Another important character in the movie is a shark named Lenny, who is the now the boss' sole heir. However, Lenny is a vegetarian, and in general a disgrace to the family name. Unable to bear the shame, Lenny runs away and disguises himself as a dolphin. The movie ends with Oscar admitting that he lied, and the Boss accepting his son, no matter what his differences.

Here's some of the guest reviews I've seen for this movie :

Negative - Warning! Be aware is what I would say to parents taking children to this movie. While it teaches some good concepts to hook the audience into thinking it's A-okay,the bottom line is that the homosexual movement got more than their share of the clams in this film. Lenny is more than just a vegetarian who dresses different. The shove towards acceptance of homosexual lifestyles is subtle and one most kids may not pick up on, but the seeds will be planted in their innocent minds. And Lola is just another spin on sex that is not the way God intended. This is in no way a 3-star movie. I give it a 1-1/2 at the most. And I won't be taking my grandchildren to see it. My Ratings: [Very Offensive]

Negative - If you are truly seeking after God's truths, you WON'T want to take you children to this movie. I regret having gone to the movie both because of the style of music (I've never gotten on board with the whole rap scene), and with the offensive portrayal of Lenny as a "vegetarian" shark (secret word for "homosexual" shark). The movie even has a "vegetarian" coming out scene. I was nonetheless excited about the story being wrapped around the mafia or the introduction of gambling. My Ratings: [Very Offensive/2½]

Positive - I saw this movie ...with my husband and girls ages 7.5 and 4. My 4 year old didn't last until the end (she usually doesn't), but my 7.5 year old liked it. My husband and I also enjoyed it. As always, I read the reviews here before I went. The thing I want to address is the implication of homosexuality in the movie. I saw NONE. The only reason I even thought of it was because I had read it here. The way the movie portrays Lenny the shark in no way made me think a homosexual agenda was there. Yes, he was portrayed as "different" but it was more of a personality difference than anything. It also made mention that he was vegetarian (not normal for sharks in general), but even still I saw no connection between this and homosexuality. I thought it was a delightful film. My Ratings: [Good/3]

More here , at bottom of page.

I read the reviews after I watched the movie, and I never caught any of the supposed homosexual innuendos.

What say you ?

Physics news on Phys.org
OMG! That is truly frightening. People that think like this "vegetarian" shark (secret word for "homosexual" shark) should be locked up. These people do nothing but spread hatred.

Uhm, yeah, as we all know vegetarian=homosexual. This makes me sick.

This is exactly why I'm such a misanthrope. People like that.

Evo said:
"vegetarian" shark (secret word for "homosexual" shark)

Yah, but that is God's will :uhh: :uhh:. Or at least that is what they. God's will is a very subjective thing, and prone to conflict of interpretation by humans. Some could believe in a tolerant view of things, or a "send-you-straight-to-hell-you-evil-devilspawn" outlook.

Evo said:
These people do nothing but spread hatred.

Uhm, yeah, as we all know vegetarian=homosexual. This makes me sick.

Talk about proselytizing their beliefs unto others. They think they mean well (to their cliques and their egos), but in reality they are causing more turmoil and hatred than anything else.

Comments like these will only spread the bigotry that exists now.

Those people are pathetic, did they see the movie 'finding nemo'? That is clearly where sharks tale got its concept of a vegetarian shark.

Monique said:
Those people are pathetic, did they see the movie 'finding nemo'? That is clearly where sharks tale got its concept of a vegetarian shark.

Bruce is awesome!

No I'm not drinking yet, i still have two classes today.

If they can't cope with a cartoon, how the hell do these poor idiots cope when they find out one of their own kids is gay?

Also, you've got to wonder what makes these people see fruity innuendo everywhere.

the number 42 said:
If they can't cope with a cartoon, how the hell do these poor idiots cope when they find out one of their own kids is gay?

Send them to Mercy House!

yeah, i doubt anyone is going to get the reference, and if they do, its my roommates fault i know that. I blame him entirely.

You need to be sent to the Nuthouse yourself. How can you let a roommate convince you to watch something called 3BC that does not talk about the Roman Empire after Augustus' reign ?

Gokul43201 said:
You need to be sent to the Nuthouse yourself. How can you let a roommate convince you to watch something called 3BC that does not talk about the Roman Empire after Augustus' reign ?

I have no idea what you're talking about. It was a reference to the movie 'Saved' with whats-her-face, the girl from a walk to remember...and mcauley culkin...and some other people who's names elude me for reasons of insignificance...

But since you bring up Rome, ever read Gibbon? Great stuff.

Oops, googling "Mercy House" led me to a review of 'Saved' at a website called "http://3blackchicks.com/2004reviews/casssaved.html " (3BC). I inadvertently swapped the name of the flick for the name of the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl:

Smooth gokul, very smooth.

And back to the question of gibbon?

franznietzsche said:
But since you bring up Rome, ever read Gibbon? Great stuff.

No, I have not. After reading Plutarch's Fall of Athens, I decided to give the rest of that genre a pass...at least for a while.

(Now, looking for it, I can't seem to find my copy of this book...blast !)

Well Gibbon wrote his in 1776 (interesting spellings back in the day), The Decline and Fall of the ROman Empire. Starts with the status of the empire at the Death of Marcu Aurelius, goes back a little discusses the post-Caesar conquests tha built the empire ( in particular Trajan (only roman emperor to stand at the banks of the tigris) and Hadrian) and then goes through the two hundred years after Aurelius' death. Good stuff really, long read though, three 1000 page volumes.

Plutarch's book, of course, was written about 2000 years ago. Fortunately, someone had the decency to translate it to English...what with my not knowing any Greek and all. Now that I try to recall what was in it, I think there was more than just "fall"ing involved. It mostly covered the story of Athens through the lives of some of its famous heroes (Aristides, Pericles...to Lysander).

I don't remember who was discussing books in translation with me, but old tranlstions are god awful, and that may be the problem. I've been reading the garret translation of crime and punishment, and to paraphrase kaufmann's comment about Thomas Common's early translation of Thus Spoke Zarathustra:

In her translation she mangles many passages creating sentences like "he waked up" and "she smelled of scent."

'These passages, and there are many, make us wonder if she knew little russian and less english'

1. What is the plot of Shark Tale?

The plot of Shark Tale follows the story of a young fish named Oscar who becomes entangled in the dangerous world of organized crime in the underwater city of Reef City. When he takes credit for killing a shark mob boss, he becomes a hero among the fish community. However, he soon realizes the implications of his actions and must find a way to make things right.

2. Why is Shark Tale considered controversial?

Shark Tale sparked controversy due to its use of mafia themes and stereotypes. Some critics argued that the movie glamorized the mafia and portrayed them in a positive light, while others believed it perpetuated negative stereotypes about Italian-Americans.

3. How did Steven Spielberg's involvement impact the film?

Steven Spielberg served as an executive producer for Shark Tale, providing guidance and creative input throughout the production process. His involvement helped to secure a star-studded cast, including big names like Will Smith, Robert De Niro, and Angelina Jolie, and contributed to the film's success at the box office.

4. Did Shark Tale receive any backlash from the Italian-American community?

Yes, Shark Tale faced criticism from various Italian-American organizations who felt that the film perpetuated negative stereotypes about their community. Some even called for a boycott of the movie. However, the filmmakers defended their use of mafia themes as simply a comedic device.

5. How does Shark Tale compare to other animated mafia-themed films?

Shark Tale is often compared to other animated films that also feature mafia themes, such as The Godpigeon, The Simpsons episode "The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer," and the Madagascar franchise. While these films also use mafia themes for comedic effect, Shark Tale is unique in its underwater setting and its use of a star-studded cast.

Back