How can I increase water pressure in a pipeline?

In summary, when too much water is being taken from a pipeline, you want to force MORE water to come out of the pipeline in order to maintain pressure. You can reduce the water flow or increase the main water supply flow rate.
bellshom
Hey,

I was wondering of a way to increase water pressure in a pipeline when I think that to much water is being taken from the pipe.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
So when too much water is being taken from the pipeline, your goal is to force MORE water to come out of the pipeline, is that correct?

Basically there are a bunch of outlets along this pipeline and I want to increase the pressure of water coming out.

Here is the scenario, there were two water pumps feeding water to two separate locations, one was beyong repair and instead of being replaced water was taken from the other water pipe at multiple locations.

This is what i think may be happening:

The reason i think the water pressure is low is to much water is being used at other points, meaning either there isn't enough water flowing through the pipe for the amount which is needed.

Or the increase in velocity of the water traveling through the pipe has reduced the pressure due to the increase in friction present.

This is my understanding but looking for some guidance.

Thanks

The remaining pump cannot do the work for two pumps.

Yuri B. said:
The remaining pump cannot do the work for two pumps.
Another thought - are there isolation valves that can be used to take the unused pump off-line. You don't want the one remaining pump to lose pressure by back-feeding the broken one.

There are two ways of increasing water pressure in you case, ether reduce the water flow (reduce number of outlets that demand water) or increase the main water supply flow rate. If you have a broken pump and you are drawing water from a source that is not designed to have more water drawn, then you will have a reduction in pressure (check on the water pump for max demand flow rate etc). If you don't have an isolation valve for your broken pump you can freeze the pipe and install one. Does the second system with the broken pump still retain a source of water that is not pressurized? it could be that by linking points of your working system into the broken system might cause a reduction in water pressure to compensate for pressurizing the second water supply. Overall i think its safe to say that there was probably a few tapped points off the working system at first, maybe to allow time for pump to be repaired, and poss. more have linked in without further investigation. Is the pressure low at every point in the system? Are all points in the system at the same ground level?

Dunk

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry everyone.

That sentence was suppose to say two water pipes not two water pumps.

The pipe system is very large and complex for me to explain on here or even provide an diagram.

But at water outlets in the same system I was recording readings of 500-600 kPa but at the part which i explained in the scenario sometimes it gets as low a 200 kPa.

I was either thinking of reinstating the second pipeline again or increasing the diameter of the pipe (or maybe both).

using a smaller pipe would increase the pressure, using a bigger pipe would enable an increase of flow rate. If you want to know more, have a closer look at this post:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-439898.html

Is the location "which [you] explained in the scenario" at a higher elevation than the outlets?

Thanks Engineerme,

The part of the pipe system I am looking at is at the same elevation.

I only ask about the pipe diameter as on the same pipe system there is a section of pipe with a larger diameter which has a much larger pressure (600 kPa where the pipes I am looking at have less then 300 kPa).

1. Why is there low pressure in my water pipe?

Low pressure in a water pipe can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a clog or blockage in the pipe, a leak in the system, or a malfunctioning pressure regulator. It could also be due to a high demand for water in your area, which can lower the overall pressure in the system.

2. How can I fix low pressure in my water pipe?

The first step in fixing low pressure in your water pipe is to identify the cause. If it is a clog or blockage, you can try using a plunger or a plumbing snake to clear it. If there is a leak, you will need to locate and repair it. If the issue is with the pressure regulator, it may need to be adjusted or replaced. In some cases, you may need to contact a professional plumber for assistance.

3. Can low pressure in my water pipe be harmful?

In most cases, low pressure in a water pipe is not harmful. However, it can be a sign of a larger issue with your plumbing system that may need to be addressed. Additionally, if the pressure is too low, it can impact the function of certain appliances, such as a washing machine or dishwasher.

4. How can I prevent low pressure in my water pipe?

To prevent low pressure in your water pipe, it is important to regularly maintain your plumbing system. This includes checking for leaks, clearing any clogs or blockages, and making sure your pressure regulator is functioning properly. It is also a good idea to monitor your water usage and avoid using too much water at once, which can lower the pressure in the system.

5. Is there a difference between low pressure and low flow in a water pipe?

Yes, there is a difference between low pressure and low flow in a water pipe. Low pressure refers to the force of the water coming out of the faucet, while low flow refers to the volume of water being released. Low flow can be caused by low pressure, but it can also be due to a restriction in the pipe or a problem with the fixture itself.