Should I go to a community college or a university for my physics major?

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best route for a high school student to take in order to major in physics. The options are to go directly to a university and major in physics, or to first attend a community college and then transfer to a university to major in physics. The conversation suggests that going directly to a university is the quickest and most efficient path towards achieving this goal, and that it is generally better to stay at the same school for your entire undergraduate degree. However, there may be special circumstances that warrant transferring after two years. Factors such as class size, teacher-student interaction, and cost are also discussed, with the general consensus being that community colleges offer smaller class sizes and potentially more personalized instruction, but universities offer more opportunities for

Which would be better?

• Undergrad 2 years, then transfer to college for physics major?

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Go directly to college and major in physics?

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
alex caps
I am a junior in high school and am starting to search for schools to go to.. I know eventually I want to major in physics.. or atleat that's what I am thinking. Would it be better for me to go to an undergrad school for 2 years and get a bunch of different sciences and maths learned, then transfer to another school and major in physics.. or should I try and go directly to a school to major in physics? I am wondering because it will help me decide which colleges to look for, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
if both cases end with "major in physics" then take the quickest route to achieving your goal. In this case it's "go directly to a school to major in physics."

In Hong Kong, there's no choice for me.
But if I can choose, I still prefer "Go directly to college and major in physics" :biggrin:

While there might be special reasons for going to one school for two years and then transferring to another, generally it is far better to stay in the same school for your entire undergraduate degree. Again barring special reasons, I would recommend choosing the best college you can get into and completing all four years there.

Ah, I suppose the implication was transfer to a better school, not just any school for some other reason. If you can't get into the school of your dreams, then yes, attempt to transfer after your sophomore year. One thing many students over look is the quality of job fairs in the area and the career service support from school.

A major is an undergrad. I think you mean get an AA from a Community College first and then go to the university for your last two years. Is this correct?

I don't think it matters. Personally, I chose to go to a community college to get my AA first. The reason is simple. I took all of my Calculus and Physics at the CC . The reason is because at the CC, my max class size was 30 students. When I took honors calc, I had 8 students in the class. At the university, Calculus and Physics courses are in stadium seating with anywhere from 150 to 300 students.

So, if you do not like teacher / student interaction and think you can teach yourself calculus and physics, just go to the university. If you would rather have smaller class sizes, more interaction with your professor, and more help available, go to a CC.

To top it off, each semester at a state university costs me around $2500. Each semester at the CC cost me about $700.

So, not only did I have smaller classes and personally feel that I learned more, I also saved $1800 a semester.

The only draw back to that method is there are a whole lot more immature idiots at a community college that arent really serious about school that you have to deal with. You may not have a problem with that but after being in the Marines... my tolerance for immaturity is zero. :tongue2:

DaVinci said:
A major is an undergrad. I think you mean get an AA from a Community College first and then go to the university for your last two years. Is this correct?

I don't think it matters. Personally, I chose to go to a community college to get my AA first. The reason is simple. I took all of my Calculus and Physics at the CC . The reason is because at the CC, my max class size was 30 students. When I took honors calc, I had 8 students in the class. At the university, Calculus and Physics courses are in stadium seating with anywhere from 150 to 300 students.

So, if you do not like teacher / student interaction and think you can teach yourself calculus and physics, just go to the university. If you would rather have smaller class sizes, more interaction with your professor, and more help available, go to a CC.

To top it off, each semester at a state university costs me around $2500. Each semester at the CC cost me about $700.

So, not only did I have smaller classes and personally feel that I learned more, I also saved $1800 a semester.

The only draw back to that method is there are a whole lot more immature idiots at a community college that arent really serious about school that you have to deal with. You may not have a problem with that but after being in the Marines... my tolerance for immaturity is zero. :tongue2:

Not necessarily true, all my undergrad classes are 30 people (i'm a physics major). My largest class is 130, but that's anthropology. None of my physics classes will ever be more than 30. Same with calculus. It depends on which university. My costs are actually higher than that, but I'm living on campus. its costing me about $15,000 a year, total. My tuition is only $1300 a quarter though (less than $5000 a year) Books, and housing make up most of the rest.

If you can afford the university right away, and there are no other factors pushing you towards the CC, go straight to the university. Its better to be at the same place for four years, you make connections with faculty, work on research, etc. All stuff that's important for getting into graduate school.

1. What is the difference between the options you are recommending?

The difference between the recommended options can vary depending on the context and specific products or solutions being compared. It is important to carefully evaluate the features, benefits, and potential drawbacks of each option to determine the best fit for your needs.

2. Which option is the most cost-effective?

The most cost-effective option will depend on various factors such as the initial cost, maintenance fees, and potential long-term savings. It is important to consider the overall value and return on investment when determining which option is the most cost-effective for your specific situation.

3. Can you provide any data or evidence to support your recommendation?

As a scientist, it is essential to base recommendations on data and evidence. Depending on the nature of the recommendation, I can provide relevant studies, research, or experiments that support the suggested option. It is important to critically evaluate and analyze the available data to make an informed recommendation.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to the recommended option?

Every solution or product has its potential risks or drawbacks. It is important to thoroughly assess and consider any potential risks before making a recommendation. This may include factors such as safety concerns, reliability, or compatibility with existing systems.

5. Is there any room for customization or personalization with the recommended option?

The level of customization or personalization available will depend on the specific product or solution being recommended. Some options may offer a range of customizable features, while others may have limited flexibility. It is important to consider your specific needs and preferences when determining the level of customization required.