First Order Differential Equation with Reflected Argument

In summary, I am trying to solve:g(x) = f(-x).However, I am not sure how to differentiate the equation to obtain g'(x).
bangbangbang
I am trying to solve:

(x + 1 + f(-x) )(1 - f ' (x) ) = x+1
f(0) = x_0
x in (-1,1)

I approximated it numerically but any analytic method I try fails. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What do you get if you differentiate (x + 1 + f(-x) )? It should make you think of the chain rule.

Ok, so I can make a substitution:

y(x) = x + 1 + f(-x). Then

y ' (x) = 1 - f ' (-x).

I don't see where to go from there, since y ' (x) does not appear in the original equation. However

y ' (-x) = 1 - f ' (x) does appear in the original equation. If i make that substitution I get

y(x) * y ' (-x) = x+1

But I still do now know how to solve that. Is my reasoning correct so far?

Hmm.. yes I was too quick - I thought the minus sign would not be a problem.
However, you can at least try making an assumption about y(-x) and see if it produces a solution consistent with the assumption. I.e., try y(-x) = - y(x), then try y(-x) = y(x).

Judging from the numeric approximation, neither of those seem to be the case. I will try it and see what happens though.

I have tried many things. One thing I was considering was to use the cross correlation of f(x) with a conveniently chosen function, make a substitution, and use the Laplace transform to force the negative sign inside, then hope the inverse Laplace transform works out. That sounds really horribly complicated though.

I have tried a series solution but it did not seem to result in anything worthwhile.

Perhaps a solution does not exist.

I finaly realized that f(x) might as well be separate functions for x> 0 and x < 0. so write g( x) = f(-x). obtain (1-x+f(x))(-g'(x)) = 1-x by swapping sign of x. Write orig equation as g(x) = expression in x and f'(x), then differentiate that to obtain expression for g'(x) and substitute in above. Now have 2nd ord (nasty) equation in only f and x. Not sure it helps much though.

What is a First Order Differential Equation with Reflected Argument?

A First Order Differential Equation with Reflected Argument is a type of differential equation where the independent variable appears in a reflected form. This means that the variable is either multiplied or divided by a constant or another function.

What is the purpose of using a Reflected Argument in a Differential Equation?

The use of a Reflected Argument allows for a more complex and realistic representation of a system or phenomenon. It is often used to model situations where the independent variable is influenced by a reflected version of itself, such as in oscillatory systems or population growth models.

How do you solve a First Order Differential Equation with Reflected Argument?

The process for solving a First Order Differential Equation with Reflected Argument is similar to solving a regular differential equation. First, the equation is separated into variables and then solved using integration techniques. The reflected argument can be treated as a constant or substituted with a new variable to make the integration process easier.

What are some real-life applications of First Order Differential Equations with Reflected Argument?

First Order Differential Equations with Reflected Argument are widely used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics. They can be used to model the behavior of pendulums, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and many other systems and processes.

What are some common challenges when working with First Order Differential Equations with Reflected Argument?

One of the main challenges when working with First Order Differential Equations with Reflected Argument is finding an appropriate initial condition. Since the reflected argument can cause the solution to behave differently, selecting the right initial condition is crucial for obtaining an accurate solution. Another challenge is the complexity of the solution, which may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.