What is the significance of V(0) = -j in finding position vector?

In summary, a position vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the position of a point in space, represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the point. It is different from a displacement vector, as it represents a static position rather than a change in position. The notation used for representing a position vector is typically <em>r</em>, with an arrow above it, or in component form as <em>r</em> = <em>x</em><em>i</em> + <em>y</em><em>j</em> + <em>z</em><em>k</em>. In 2D space, a position vector can be found by determining the x and y coordinates of the point, and it
Miike012
Problem: Find position vector given
a(t) [ look in paint doc]
v(0) = i,
r(0) = j

I highlighted a portion in the paint doc that I have a question for. Why V(0) = -j + C? = i?
Where did they get the -j??

Thank you.

Attachments

• acceleration.jpg
    acceleration.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I got it

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the position of a point in space relative to a chosen origin. It is represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the point, and its magnitude is the distance between the point and the origin.

2. How is a position vector different from a displacement vector?

A displacement vector represents the change in position between two points, while a position vector represents the position of a single point. In other words, a position vector is static and does not change, while a displacement vector is dynamic and can change depending on the starting and ending points.

3. What is the notation used for representing a position vector?

A position vector is typically represented using the letter r, with an arrow above it to indicate that it is a vector. It can also be written in its component form as r = xi + yj + zk, where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in the i, j, and k directions, respectively.

4. How do you find the position vector of a point in 2D space?

In 2D space, a position vector can be found by determining the x and y coordinates of the point relative to the origin. The position vector is then represented as r = xi + yj, where x and y are the x and y coordinates, respectively.

5. Can a position vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a position vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Magnitude is always a positive value, representing the distance between the point and the origin. However, the components of a position vector can be negative if the point is located in the negative direction of a certain axis.