Causes of Natural Multicolored Hair

• Thread starter Bartholomew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, the variations in natural multicolored hair are caused by the expression levels of genes that code for pigments. This can result in a mix of different hair colors, such as light brown, dark brown, blonde, and reddish. The Lyon hypothesis and chimera explanation are also sometimes used to explain patchiness in hair color. However, natural green hair is not caused by a specific gene and is usually only found in human-christmas ornament chimeras or polar bears with hollow hair follicles.
Bartholomew
What causes natural multicolored hair? For example, I have dark brown hair on my head, a dark brown beard that also has orange places, a blonde moustache, and a pure white tuft of hair beneath my lower lip.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi, I have multi colored hair too, and i have light brown, dark brown, blonde, and some reddish... I have been looking for answers too, but i just can't find anything.. I really do hope you can find an answer though :)

I has to do with the expression levels of genes that code for the pigments. I don't think it is really known why this varies (some people change hair color over time).

Is there a gene for a green hair?

I was a light blond (pig blond as we call it in Polish) as a kid, since then my hair got darker and darker and rarer and rarer.

The Lyon hypothesis is used to explain patchiness in hair and fur color, too.

Another explanation sometimes offered is that the person is a chimera, which can occur in fraternal twins. Chimera means the person has two different sets of DNA in distinct tissue types.

Borek -
Natural Green hair only occurs only in human-christmas ornament chimeras... You seem to be the only extant example. There is no green gene.

Polar bears have hollow hair follicles that allow single celled green algae to grow inside the hair shaft itself. Polar bears that swim a lot make for "green" polar bears during the Summer. Maybe you have hollow follicles and swim every day too?

1. What is the scientific explanation behind natural multicolored hair?

Natural multicolored hair is a result of a combination of multiple genetic factors. Our hair color is determined by the amount and type of melanin (pigment) produced by melanocytes, which are specialized cells located at the base of our hair follicles. The amount and type of melanin produced is determined by our genes. Certain genes control the production of eumelanin, which gives hair colors ranging from black to brown, while others control the production of pheomelanin, which gives hair colors ranging from blonde to red. The combination and distribution of these two types of melanin in our hair follicles results in natural multicolored hair.

2. Can environmental factors also contribute to natural multicolored hair?

Although genetics play a major role in determining our hair color, environmental factors can also influence the expression of certain genes. For example, exposure to UV radiation from the sun can increase the production of eumelanin, resulting in darker hair. Additionally, certain nutritional deficiencies or hormonal imbalances can affect the production of melanin, leading to changes in hair color.

3. Is natural multicolored hair more common in certain ethnicities or regions?

The distribution of hair colors varies among different ethnicities and regions, with certain hair colors being more common in certain populations. For example, blonde hair is more commonly found in people of European descent, while black hair is more common in people of African descent. This is due to genetic variations and adaptations to different environments over time.

4. Can natural multicolored hair change over time?

As we age, our hair follicles produce less melanin, resulting in greying of hair. In some cases, this can also lead to changes in the distribution of melanin, resulting in the appearance of natural multicolored hair. Additionally, hormonal changes during puberty or pregnancy can also cause changes in hair color.

5. Are there any health risks associated with natural multicolored hair?

Natural multicolored hair is a result of genetic variation and is not considered a health risk. However, certain diseases or conditions that affect melanin production, such as vitiligo or albinism, can also result in natural multicolored hair. It is important to consult a doctor if you notice any sudden changes in hair color or texture, as it could be a sign of an underlying health issue.