Double Scissor Lift: Calculating Fatigue, Buckling, Deflection, etc.

• Thread starter hisham Aliyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of making an analysis for a double scissor lift that can lift 4000 kg for a length of 2 meters. The analysis includes calculating factors such as fatigue, buckling, deflection, welding, screws, and material selection. It is suggested to start by choosing a specific member length and using a free body diagram to check the forces and stability at various heights. The conversation also mentions the importance of selecting the right material, cross-section, and size of member, which may require multiple iterations.
hisham Aliyan
Hello everybody ,
i'm new here .. so i hope that you help me in this problem ..
i have to make an analysis for a double scissor lift , it has to lift 4000 kg , for a length of 2 meter ,,
i have to calculate fatigues ,buckling ,deflection , welding ,screws and the material selected ! so anybody can help !

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a scissor lift freight elevator I go by at times and when operating it just seems fascinating.

Since you have 2 members as a unit ( 8 members altogether i guess ) that straighten out as the lift rises,you would want the members to be more than 1 meter each in length, otherwise the thing would topple over when fully extended. So you could start by picking a particlular member length and with the use of FBD, check the forces on members at specific heights of the lift, and stabiliy at maximum height with a 4000 kg load.

If that is OK, then you have to pick a material, cross-section and size of member, calculate stresses and deflections, etc. I not acceptable then you may have to do several iterations in choosing lengths, cross-section, and size of member.

The iteration thing no doubt threw you off, as there is not one single simple equation to plug in some numbers and voila - out pops the answer.
have fun!

1. What is a double scissor lift?

A double scissor lift is a type of lifting mechanism that uses two sets of crossed scissor arms to raise and lower a platform. It is commonly used in industrial settings for lifting heavy loads to different heights.

2. How do you calculate fatigue in a double scissor lift?

To calculate fatigue in a double scissor lift, you need to determine the maximum load that the lift will be subjected to and the number of cycles or repetitions it will undergo. You can then use mathematical equations and fatigue curves to estimate the life expectancy of the lift.

3. What is buckling in relation to a double scissor lift?

Buckling is a phenomenon where a slender structure, such as a scissor arm, suddenly fails due to compressive stress. In a double scissor lift, buckling can occur if the arms are not properly designed to handle the load, resulting in a collapse of the lift.

4. How do you calculate deflection in a double scissor lift?

To calculate deflection in a double scissor lift, you need to know the load and the dimensions of the scissor arms. You can use mathematical equations and beam deflection formulas to determine the amount of deflection that will occur under the given load.

5. What factors can affect the performance of a double scissor lift?

Several factors can affect the performance of a double scissor lift, including the load capacity, type of material used for the scissor arms, design and construction of the lift, regular maintenance, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity. It is important to consider all these factors to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the lift.