How Can I Get This Pivot Point To Stay In One Point?

In summary, a spring-return hinge can be created with a simple clock-spring or torsion-spring, while a ball plunger can offer damping.
itsdonny
I'm trying to figure out a solution to this design. I want to add a spring to this joint so it can flex up and down and I want the neutral position to be at 45 degrees as pictured. So if you push it either way it springs back to this position. At the same time I dont' want the arm to bounce around so I want to make this 45 degree position sticky. Perhaps a detent could hold it in place until pushed beyond a certain tension.

So I'm looking for ideas as to how I can 1. add spring tension to the joint and 2. have a sticky point. Any ideas would be appreciated. Feel free to modify the drawing I made if you're feeling motivated. Or if you can think of some examples where something like this has been done, please let me know.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oops, here's the image:
http://www.notesofrock.com/temp-images/hinge-ideas-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can think of a few methods, but you've left a lot to the imagination. What are the dimensions, materials, forces, ...?

Good point. : )
The body will by made of some type of plastic and will be about 6" long. The arm is made of fiberglass tube with an O.D. of about 5mm, and the length of the arm is about 16" with about 1 oz of weight on the end. The spring will of course need to be strong enough to elevate that throughout its range of motion. Thank you.

There are several ways to go -- a lot will depend on your budget. You also failed to mention if this is just something you're building for yourself or if it's destined for production.

The spring-return feature can be done with a simple clock-spring or torsion-spring. A ball plunger for the centering detent can also offer some damping function.

Damping can also be accomplished with commercially available rotary dampers, such as these:

1. How do I adjust the pivot point on my object?

To adjust the pivot point on your object, you can use the pivot point tool in your software or manually move the pivot point by selecting it and dragging it to the desired location.

2. Why does my pivot point keep moving when I rotate my object?

This could be due to the pivot point being set to "auto" or "center" instead of being set to a fixed location. Make sure to set the pivot point to a specific location before rotating the object.

3. Can I lock the pivot point in place?

Yes, most software allows you to lock the pivot point in place so that it does not move when you rotate or transform your object. This will ensure that the pivot point stays in one point.

4. How do I reset the pivot point to its default position?

To reset the pivot point to its default position, you can use the "reset pivot" or "center pivot" option in your software. This will reset the pivot point to the center of the object.

5. Is there a shortcut to quickly move the pivot point?

Yes, most software has a shortcut key or hotkey to quickly move the pivot point to a specific location. This can save time and make it easier to adjust the pivot point as needed.