Path integral and gaussian integral

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the functional for a real scalar field using a gaussian formula. The speaker is having trouble recovering the right sign of J and is seeking help. They mention that there was an explanation in Peskin, but they initially messed up some factors.
LayMuon
I am trying to calculate the functional for real scalar field:

[tex]
W[J] = \int \mathcal{D} \phi \: exp \left[{ \int \frac{d^4 p}{(2 \pi)^4}[ \frac{1}{2} \tilde{\phi}(-p) i (p^2 - m^2 +i \epsilon) \tilde{\phi}(p)} +\tilde{J}(-p) \tilde{\phi}(p)] \right]

[/tex]

Using this gaussian formula:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \prod_{i=1}^N dy_i \: exp \left[ -\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j=1}^N y_i A_{ij} y_j + \sum_{i=1}^Ny_i z_i \right]= (2 \pi)^{N/2} (\mathrm{det} A)^{-1/2} exp \left[\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j=1}^N z_i (A^{-1})_{ij} z_j \right]

[/tex]

I have to discretise the p integration and then perform the integration over phi but i am unable to recover the right sign of J.

I can'r get:

[tex]
W[J] = W[0] \: exp \left[ \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d^4 p}{(2 \pi)^4} \tilde{J}(-p) \tilde{D}(p) \tilde{J}(p) \right]

[/tex]

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was an explanation in Peskin. One should be careful with factors of 1/2. I initially messed them up.

1. What is a path integral and how is it used in physics?

A path integral, also known as a functional integral, is a mathematical tool used in physics to calculate the probability of a quantum system transitioning from one state to another. It is based on the principle of superposition, which states that a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. By summing over all possible paths or trajectories that a system can take, the path integral allows us to calculate the probability of a system ending up in a particular state.

2. What is the difference between a path integral and a gaussian integral?

A path integral is a generalization of an ordinary integral, while a gaussian integral is a specific type of integral. A path integral involves summing over all possible paths, while a gaussian integral involves integrating a gaussian or normal distribution function. Path integrals are commonly used in quantum mechanics, while gaussian integrals are used in various fields, including statistics and physics.

3. How is the path integral related to the uncertainty principle?

The path integral is related to the uncertainty principle through the concept of conjugate variables. In quantum mechanics, there are pairs of variables, such as position and momentum, that are related through the uncertainty principle. The path integral formalism allows us to calculate the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another, which is related to the uncertainty in the system's position and momentum.

4. Can the path integral be used to solve any physical problem?

No, the path integral cannot be used to solve all physical problems. It is a powerful mathematical tool, but it is only applicable to quantum systems. Additionally, for complex systems, the calculations involved in the path integral can become very difficult and time-consuming, making it impractical for certain problems.

5. How has the use of path integrals impacted modern physics?

The use of path integrals has had a significant impact on modern physics, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It has allowed for the development of new theories, such as quantum field theory, and has provided a powerful tool for calculating probabilities and making predictions about quantum systems. The use of path integrals has also led to a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the superposition principle and the uncertainty principle.