How photons and static em feilds work

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons as carriers of the electromagnetic force and the idea that they may not be necessary to explain the Coulomb force. The possibility of describing the force without virtual photons or gauge fixing is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a suggestion that the use of virtual particles and photons may be a misleading way to explain quantum mechanics.
MitchellW
The photon as I understand it is a massless particle that "must" travel at the speed of light.

However I do not understand the idea that a photon is also the carrier of the em force.

If there is a simple ball of static charge and a test charge comes near do photons exchange between the two charge center back and forth, confining themselves to the two charge centers

Physics news on Phys.org
You can describe this force via the exchange of virtual photons, but static fields are easier to visualize without photons.

mfb said:
You can describe this force via the exchange of virtual photons, but static fields are easier to visualize without photons.
That's possible but missleading. Neither the potential nor the virtual photon are gauge invarian terms.

It's more appropriate to apply physical gauge fixing, i.e. setting A° = 0, solving the Gauß constraint G|phys> = 0 and therefore derive the physical Hamiltonian H. H contains physical, transversal photons NOT carrying the static Coulomb interaction, plus a term ~ ρ(x)ρ(y)/|x-y| where ρ are the charge densities (i.e. electron fields). This works both in classical electrodynamics and in full QED.

Therefore (virtual) photons are not required to explain the Coulomb force; they explain just dynamical fluctuations beyond the static approximation.

Tom, do you think the OP is wondering about gauge fixing? Or is it more likely he read something in a popularization like "quantum mechanics is just like regular mechanics, except that it has virtual particles, which can temporarily violate the conservation of energy."?

I don't know. All I wanted to indicate is that the 0th (classical, static) order of the Coulomb field can be understood w/o mentioning virtual particles an w/o photons as force carriers.

Last edited:

1. How do photons interact with matter?

Photons interact with matter through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for attracting or repelling particles, causing them to interact with each other. When a photon collides with an atom, it can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted depending on the energy of the photon and the properties of the atom.

2. What is the role of static electric and magnetic fields in photon interactions?

Static electric and magnetic fields play a crucial role in the interaction of photons with matter. These fields can influence the path and behavior of photons, causing them to change direction or accelerate. This is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for many electromagnetic phenomena such as the bending of light in a prism.

3. How are photons created?

Photons are created when an atom or subatomic particle undergoes a transition from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. This process is known as spontaneous emission and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. Photons can also be created through other processes such as particle collisions or nuclear reactions.

4. How do photons travel through space?

Photons travel through space at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. They do not experience any friction or resistance as they travel through a vacuum, which allows them to maintain their speed and energy. This is why light from distant stars and galaxies can reach us without losing its intensity.

5. Can photons be affected by gravity?

Yes, photons can be affected by gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. Since light travels through spacetime, it can be influenced by the curvature caused by massive objects such as stars or planets. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing and has been observed in various astronomical observations.