How does the Higgs field affect particles at normal energy levels?

In summary, the concept of the Higgs field giving particles mass is confusing, especially since it requires a lot of energy to generate a Higgs boson. It is also unclear how the Higgs field, which is a field theory, correlates with the Higgs particle that mediates the field. However, it is important to note that it is the Higgs field, not the Higgs particle, that gives other particles mass.
jnorman
I admit I am pretty much completely baffled by the concept of an additional particle being required to "give" other particles mass, but I would like to ask a simple question.

given the extremely large amount of energy required to generate a higgs boson, how can such a particle come into play at the normal energy levels of everyday particle interaction, or during the quite low energy levels of gravitational effects?

also, given that the standard model is a field theory, rather than a particle theory, how is the higgs field correlated with the very massive higgs particle which supposedly mediates the field?

thanks for anything that might help clarify some of this in my head...

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to clarify one thing: It is the Higgs FIELD not the Higgs PARTICLE that give other particles mass. As for the rest of your question I am wondering about similar things.

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s and was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider.

2. Why is the Higgs Boson important?

The Higgs Boson is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other. It also helps explain how particles acquire mass.

3. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered by smashing particles together at high speeds in the Large Hadron Collider. The resulting data showed a signature of the Higgs Boson, confirming its existence.

4. What are the potential implications of the discovery of the Higgs Boson?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson has opened up new avenues for research in particle physics and has helped us understand the origins of mass. It may also lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or experiments related to the Higgs Boson?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and experiments related to the Higgs Boson, including further research at the Large Hadron Collider and other particle accelerators around the world. Scientists are also using the data from the Higgs Boson discovery to further our understanding of the universe.