Heisenburgs Uncertainty Principle in a narrow tube?

In summary: The only way to know it with any accuracy is to measure the momentum and energy of the photon as it emerges from the laser.
cmcraes
The principle states: δxδp≥h/4π
I understand what it means and I've seen in proven both theoretically and expiamentally, so I am not questioning the inequality here.

My question is:
If there was a very narrow tube that had a vacuum inside it and a laser attached at one end that shoots single photons. The tube is black on the outside so no light can get inside, there are 'perfect mirrors' all around the inside so no light could be lost, why can't we know a photons position and momentum at the same time now? I mean assuming we know its energy when it leaves the laser, its velocity, and the dimentions of the of the vacuum tube, why can't we always know the photons displacement and momentum at any instantanious moment in time? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
cmcraes said:
The principle states: δxδp≥h/4π
I understand what it means and I've seen in proven both theoretically and expiamentally, so I am not questioning the inequality here.

My question is:
If there was a very narrow tube that had a vacuum inside it and a laser attached at one end that shoots single photons. The tube is black on the outside so no light can get inside, there are 'perfect mirrors' all around the inside so no light could be lost, why can't we know a photons position and momentum at the same time now? I mean assuming we know its energy when it leaves the laser, its velocity, and the dimentions of the of the vacuum tube, why can't we always know the photons displacement and momentum at any instantanious moment in time? Thank you!

What you have constructed is a waveguide.

The thing about waveguides here is that, if the geometry is "wrong", your laser light will not propagate, and it will be reflected. In fact, this is one aspect of constructing waveguides that is extremely important - can your waveguide sustain the EM mode that you are trying to propagate.

Now, with that in mind, let's look at what you are trying to do. For your setup to make a suitable test of the HUP, the diameter of the tube must be comparable to the wavelength of the light source. If not, if it is "too big", then this really doesn't test anything and your [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is huge. My guess here is that if you make the diameter of your tube that small, you end up with no propagation down that tube, i.e. you end up with a structure that includes wavelength of that light you are trying to propagate within its cutoff.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What you have constructed is a waveguide.

The thing about waveguides here is that, if the geometry is "wrong", your laser light will not propagate, and it will be reflected. In fact, this is one aspect of constructing waveguides that is extremely important - can your waveguide sustain the EM mode that you are trying to propagate.

Now, with that in mind, let's look at what you are trying to do. For your setup to make a suitable test of the HUP, the diameter of the tube must be comparable to the wavelength of the light source. If not, if it is "too big", then this really doesn't test anything and your [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is huge. My guess here is that if you make the diameter of your tube that small, you end up with no propagation down that tube, i.e. you end up with a structure that includes wavelength of that light you are trying to propagate within its cutoff.

Zz.

Thanks! Makes much more sense now

What if this was done with an electron or neutrino?

You cannot know anyway the momentum/energy of the photon with an arbitrary accuracy even though it came from a laser.

1. What is Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

2. How does the principle apply to a narrow tube?

In a narrow tube, the principle applies to the uncertainty in the position and velocity of a particle as it moves through the tube. This is because the tube restricts the movement of the particle, making it more difficult to determine both its position and velocity.

3. Why is the Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle important in a narrow tube?

The principle is important in a narrow tube because it helps us understand the limitations of our ability to measure the position and velocity of particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding quantum phenomena, such as the behavior of electrons in an atom.

4. How does the principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where it was believed that the position and momentum of a particle could be known precisely. It shows that at the quantum level, there is always a level of uncertainty in our measurements.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle in a narrow tube?

Yes, the principle has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and spectroscopy. It also helps scientists understand and manipulate the behavior of particles at the quantum level, leading to advancements in technology and medicine.