Deriving Actuator Force Equations for Scissor Lift Design

In summary, you are having trouble deriving the equations for the actuator force for some reason. You are seeking help from others, but are unsure of where you are going wrong.
Autosug
Hi.

I am currently working on a scissor lift design. I'm having some trouble deriving the equations for the actuator force for some reason. Think I'm getting blind on this ATM or something :P. Anyways if someone could help a bit id appreciate it. [I have derived equations I'm just not sure I did it all the right way]
I have all information but the reactions and force in the actuator. Only seeking some standard derivation to se if I did correct or not :) [all other information is available) And actuator is placed between scissor arms.
The scissor lift will start from bottom and up. So the alpha angle is small.

Se picture

Attachments

• Scissor.PNG
    Scissor.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 7,551
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have derived equations I'm just not sure I did it all the right way.
Show us please.
Otherwise you are basically using us as free engineering consultants.
Show us and we can help you see where you are having trouble and everyone benefits.

Just to be clear. I am not trying to get any free stuff[close to getting my diploma...) :)
But I understand you and its fine. I have added the pictures in the PDF hope it helps.
Note: X1 is known and alpha to.

Edit: And as far as i se i have to many unknown compared to equations. So I am thinking i do something not right even more (maybe the way I look at the system...) :)
regards

Attachments

• Dok1.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,437
Last edited:
No one has any ideas?

You have yet to explain what you've done - all I see are a bunch of anonymous lines and equations.
Please annotate your work so someone completely unfamiliar with what you've done can follow your reasoning.

I'm guessing the red line on the diagram is some sort of actuator - but no idea how it is supposed to act and, anyway, one end appears to be unsupported. It appears the angle of the red line is supposed to change in operation ... ?

So no ... considering the number of possible ways a scissor lift could work: not a clue.

Red Line is the cylinder.
As shown on the attachment in my first post there are two cylinder fastening eyes where the cylinder is fastened. The scissor lift starts from collapsed state as I have tried to show in my first post attachment. When it raises, the left side of the lift moves towards the right because of the rollers on the scissor lift. Because the cylinder is attached to the scissor arms through the fastening eyes on the left side of the scissor, the cylinder will move towards the right with the scissor when the scissor is raised.
My problem is: Do I look at this system the right way concerning the way I have put forces on the system. Or is there something I miss. Because as stated in my second post I think I have to many unknowns atm. so It is indeterminate..
Hope this helps :)

OK, so the red line is a piston thing using hydraulics or pneumatics?
When the scissor arm is horizontal, the piston makes an angle alpha to the horizontal ... but it appears to rotate with the scissor arm it is attached to so the angle to the scissor arm is always the same?

What is the other end of the piston attached to?
In both diagrams it is just floating there.

Under what conditions do you want to calculate the force - force to do what?
Perhaps you want to lift the platform at a constant speed, hold it at a constant height, or accelerate it?

The system will work with hydraulics. The attachment close to the center of the scissor is attached through brackets that are welded on a middle beam between the scissor arms. This bracket is in front and above the center of the scissor arms so lift can happen. The other cylinder end is also attached via brackets that are also welded on a beam between the scissors at the end. This will ensure the cylinder stays in place. (I see now that it was a mistake to put alpha on the second drawing of attachment one. This angle will change a bit if i am correct).
Anyways the thing i actually seek is the force acting in the cylinder at the very moment the scissor starts to lift. This is so I can determine a proper cylinder size for my system. And it will ofc. be with maximum load on the scissor system. And that's where the trouble starts :)
(I have been working on the whole thing for some months now sot hat might be why I just have answered shortly. I have a lot in my head and stuff seems obvious to me. I know It is not to all :) But I hope this helps else let me know and Ill see if i can come up with something different.)

Oh OK - so the "unattached" end of the cylinder should actually be treated as fixed in the reference frame of the ground?

I doubt that the arrangement will actually lie flat like the diagram when the platform is completely lowered.
Apart from that - you want to position the forces of the weights of everything the cylinder has to lift as well as resolve the forces into those that act along the scissor arms and those that act perpendicular to the arms.

I think your should be able to use the instantaneous torques for this.

Have you looked at how other problems have been done?
http://www.engineersedge.com/mechanics_machines/scissor-lift.htm
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=449843

Well i have already the basic design ready in CREO for the scissor. So I wanted to know the force that would act in the cylinder. I was hoping by simplifying the system it could be viewed as a static simple system, because the scissor system was laying flat down when collapsed and then just view it the way I showed in the pdf file. I also have a factor of safety of 2 which also should make up for friction in joints and so on. Now I am not so sure I can do it that easy.
Anyways thank you for you reply I will look into it again and see what I can come up with:)

Regards

Cool ... for the situation you are trying for, the cylinder only supports one side ... I guess you could do a back-of-envelope by treating the entire thing as a loaded beam.

1. What is the purpose of a scissor lift?

A scissor lift is a type of mobile elevated work platform used to provide temporary access to high places. It is commonly used in construction, maintenance, and warehouse operations to reach areas that are not easily accessible by a ladder or scaffolding.

2. How does a scissor lift work?

A scissor lift works by using a series of linked supports, or scissor arms, to extend and retract. When the lift is activated, the arms open and close in a criss-cross pattern, allowing the platform to move vertically. The lift is powered by a hydraulic system that allows for smooth and controlled movements.

3. What are the main factors to consider when designing a scissor lift?

The main factors to consider when designing a scissor lift include the maximum load capacity, platform size, lifting height, and stability. Other important factors include the type of power system (hydraulic, pneumatic, or electric), the type of control system, and the intended use of the lift (indoor or outdoor).

4. What are some common safety features of a scissor lift?

Some common safety features of a scissor lift include guardrails, emergency stop buttons, and safety sensors that prevent the lift from operating if weight limits are exceeded. Many lifts also have non-slip platform surfaces and automatic brakes to prevent accidental movement. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when operating a scissor lift.

5. Are there any equations or formulas used in scissor lift design?

Yes, there are several equations and formulas used in scissor lift design, including the load capacity equation, stability equation, and platform size calculation. These equations take into account factors such as the length and width of the platform, the weight of the load, and the angle of the scissor arms. It is important for engineers to carefully consider these equations to ensure the safe and efficient design of a scissor lift.