Why is my iPad displaying ads incorrectly on certain websites?

• Thread starter Nugatory
  • Start date
In summary, the Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn pieces to the left of the ad in the same vertical space on my laptop browser look clean, but on the iPad Safari starts to push the display down to make space for the ads, and the links that are followed are the ones that would have been there after the display is scrolled.
Nugatory
Mentor
On my laptop browser, a PF page displays with the Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn pieces to the left of the ad and in the same vertical space - no problem, actually looks somewhat clean.

But Safari on the iPad starts to draw the display that way, then a few seconds later pushes the entire page down to make space to redraw the FB/G/LinkedIn pieces above the ad. It's really annoying because when I touch a link before the page jumps down, the link that is followed isn't the one I touched, it's the one that would have been there after the display is scrolled.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if the iPad screen is forcing that. I'll check what resolution the iPad uses. I really need to buy one for testing purposes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I wonder if the iPad screen is forcing that. I'll check what resolution the iPad uses. I really need to buy one for testing purposes.

Judging by this rant (which, BTW, I whole-heartedly endorse) it's not just the iPad (unless that just happens to be the browser that AlephNull is using).

In any case, PF is essentially unusable through my iPad now, and I'd be interested in hearing about iPad users who don't have this problem.

It's possible that the experience would improve if my browser didn't have to deal with the ads as well... Hmmmmm... Maybe if I choked up the dollars for a paid membership... :smile:

I've never experienced any problems using my iPad, just checked with chrome and safari both logged in and out and haven't experienced anything.

What generation is everyone using and is it the full ipad or mini? I would suggest getting the PF app until I can iron the problem out.

Gen 2 full ipad

Greg Bernhardt said:
What generation is everyone using and is it the full ipad or mini? I would suggest getting the PF app until I can iron the problem out.

My iPad is ancient. I'll give the app a try.

1. How can I fix a frozen display on my iPad?

One possible solution is to force restart your iPad by holding down the power button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. If that doesn't work, try connecting your iPad to a computer and using iTunes to reset it.

2. Why is my iPad screen flickering?

This could be due to a software issue or a hardware problem. Try restarting your iPad and updating to the latest software version. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to contact Apple for further assistance.

3. How do I adjust the display brightness on my iPad?

You can adjust the display brightness by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPad's screen to access the Control Center. From there, you can use the brightness slider to adjust the brightness level.

4. My iPad screen is showing a black screen. What should I do?

Try pressing the power button to see if your iPad is actually turned off. If it is, press and hold the power button again to turn it back on. If that doesn't work, try charging your iPad and then attempting to turn it on again.

5. How do I change the display orientation on my iPad?

You can change the display orientation by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPad's screen to access the Control Center. From there, you can tap on the lock icon to toggle the orientation lock on or off.