Asteroid Impacting Venus: Will it Strike or Explode?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a 20 km wide asteroid heading towards Venus at 18 km per second. The question is whether it would hit the surface or explode in the atmosphere. The person responding mentions that an asteroid of this size would hit the surface of Earth and provides some articles for further reading on the potential effects on Venus.
willstaruss22
Lets say you have a 20 km wide stony/iron asteroid hurtling towards Venus at 18 km per second at a 45 degree angle.

Would an asteroid of this size hit the surface of Venus or just blow up in the atmosphere?

I know that an asteroid of this size would hit the surface of Earth but I am curious about Venus and its 93 bar atmosphere.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I started developing a response with this paper: http://www.igpp.ucla.edu/public/mkivelso/refs/PUBLICATIONS/Chyba Tunguska.pdf but I've run out of time lol

The "Fragmentation and Dispersal" section of this article: http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~sue/TJA_LindhurstLabWebsite/ListPublications/Papers_pdf/Seismo_1621.pdf may be of some help as well :) Also check out http://www.researchgate.net/publication/10656063_Efficient_disruption_of_small_asteroids_by_Earth's_atmosphere/file/50463515e55dd85472.pdf

1. What is the likelihood of an asteroid impacting Venus?

The likelihood of an asteroid impacting Venus is low. Venus has a thick atmosphere that can protect it from small asteroids, and larger ones are more likely to be deflected by its strong gravitational pull.

2. How big would an asteroid need to be to cause significant damage to Venus?

An asteroid would need to be at least 10-15 kilometers in diameter to cause significant damage to Venus. Anything smaller would likely burn up in its atmosphere.

3. Can an asteroid strike cause Venus to explode?

No, an asteroid strike cannot cause Venus to explode. Venus is a rocky planet with a solid surface, so an asteroid impact would cause a crater but not an explosion.

4. What are the potential consequences of an asteroid impact on Venus?

An asteroid impact on Venus could potentially cause widespread destruction and alter its surface and atmosphere. It could also have global effects, such as changing the planet's climate.

5. How would scientists detect and track an asteroid heading towards Venus?

Scientists use various methods to detect and track asteroids, including ground-based telescopes, space-based telescopes, and radar imaging. The information gathered from these methods can help predict the trajectory of an asteroid and determine if it poses a threat to Venus.