Cautious to click on a link from a new person

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, there is a concern about new individuals posting links in a forum and the suggestion to prevent link posting until a sufficient number of posts have been accumulated. However, this may also lead to members posting empty messages to meet the post requirement. The use of NoScript in Firefox and non-Windows operating systems can reduce the risk of clicking suspicious links.
jackmell
Hi,

I have noticed from time to time new individuals posting links in PF. I myself am cautious of someone with no or few post including a link in their thread as I fear it may simply be a front for malware.

Perhaps others feel likewise. So I am suggesting administration consider preventing the posting of links until a sufficient number of posts have accumulated, maybe 50? This is in response to a thread I noticed yesterday.

Just a suggestion.

Ok thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is tricky, as people often ask legitimate questions linking to images, or wikipedia pages, or other sources that are perfectly valid. We tried to limit link posting to members with at least several posts, but it often ends with people posting several almost empty messages just to be able to ask the question - so instead of adding some order it is more work for Mentors to delete these messages.

Feel free to report posts with links that look suspicious, feel free to not click these links.

Borek said:
feel free to not click these links.
:rofl:

NoScript in Firefox will greatly reduce the risk in clicking links, as will using non-Windows operating systems and non-x86 architecture.

1. How can I protect myself from clicking on a potentially harmful link from a new person?

One way to protect yourself is to be cautious and not click on any links from unfamiliar sources. You can also use antivirus software and regularly update your security settings. Additionally, you can hover over the link to see the URL and make sure it is from a trusted source before clicking.

2. What are some red flags to look out for in a link from a new person?

Some red flags to look out for include suspicious or unexpected emails or messages, misspellings or unusual characters in the link, and vague or urgent language. If the link is asking for personal information or login credentials, it should also be approached with caution.

3. What should I do if I accidentally click on a potentially harmful link from a new person?

If you accidentally click on a link that you suspect may be harmful, immediately close the window or tab and run a full system scan with your antivirus software. You may also want to change your passwords as a precaution.

4. Is it safe to click on a link from a new person if they assure me it is trustworthy?

Even if the person assures you that the link is safe, it is important to still exercise caution. They may not be aware that the link is harmful or they may have been hacked. It is always best to verify the source of the link before clicking on it.

5. How can I check if a link from a new person is safe before clicking on it?

One way to check if a link is safe is to use a link scanning service such as Google Safe Browsing or Norton Safe Web. These services can check the link for malware and phishing attempts. You can also do a quick online search of the link or the sender's name to see if there have been any reported scams or viruses associated with them.